'I know what I've got to do': WR Emmanuel Sanders focused on return to field as training camp approaches

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
n5fmogccryh1jl4gmftz

DENVER — While running back Phillip Lindsay and guard Ron Leary are expected to be ready for the start of training camp, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders isn’t yet ready to say if he’ll be on the field for the first practice of camp.

"We’ll see," Sanders said Tuesday at Coors Field during UCHealth’s “Healthy Swings Charity Home Run Derby. "We’re just taking it one day at a time."

Sanders said he believes he’s back to his top speed and said that he hasn’t had residual soreness from his workouts.

"I’ve been working every day and I’ve been showing it on my Instagram just to show the fans I’m working my butt off to get back,” Sanders said. “When I step into that locker room, when I step on that field, I know a lot of people are going to be looking [to see] if I still have it. I’m going to be prepared for that moment. I know me coming off an Achilles injury, the moment I step in this offense, they’re going to expect a lot out of me and I’m going to expect a lot out of myself."

Sanders, who is entering his 10th year in the league and his sixth year with the Broncos, caught 71 passes for 868 yards and four touchdowns before suffering the Achilles injury during practice in early December.

It’s clear that when the two-time Pro Bowler does return to the field, he still expects to make a substantial impact for his team.

"I want to go to the Pro Bowl,” Sanders said. “I want to get back in the [NFL] Top 100. I still feel like I’m one of the best receivers in the NFL right now. I work like it, so therefore I’m going to feel like it. I want to get back in the playoffs and I want to make a Super Bowl.

"… I know what I’ve got to do. I’m willing and capable of doing that. I’ve got a month and a half to continuously get better and try to do that."