10 Moments That Defined Brian Robison’s Football Journey

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
d0ef5mbcvecntwljrhbk

5. Welcome to Minnesota

The Vikings traded up in the fourth round of the 2007 NFL Draft to make sure they could select Robison.

While Robison and his wife, Jayme, wondered what life was going to be like up north, they quickly found a home.

Robison spoke fondly of meeting his new neighbors, Nancy and Rich Gilbertson, and the relationships he had made up north.

6. A near-miss in 2009

The 2009 Vikings were loaded, with Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre on the roster, along with potential future Hall of Famers in Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson and Adrian Peterson.

But Minnesota’s loss in the 2009 NFC Championship in New Orleans made Robison realize an opportunity had been missed.

“We lose it. We didn’t get beat, we lost it,” Robison said. “We had way too many turnovers and mistakes in the game … that was the first real time I was able to sit there and think that was an opportunity that got squandered.

“That team should have brought a Super Bowl championship to the state of Minnesota,” Robison said. “No doubt in my mind, hands down.”

7. Zimmer’s arrival

Robison had 40 career sacks through his first seven seasons, including 25.5 during a three-year span from 2011-2013, on his resume when Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer arrived in 2014.

The veteran defensive end had 20 sacks in his final four years in Minnesota, but was known as the ultimate team player for his selfless attitude and demeanor.

Robison explained how Zimmer helped him grow on the field in different roles.

“I can’t tell you how many times that Coach Zimmer pushed me to my breaking point, but he made me a better player for it physically and mentally, because he brought things out of me that I didn’t even think I could do,” Robison said. “

8. Learning from ’Dre

One of the most emotional moments of Robison’s farewell press conference was when he spoke about Vikings defensive line coach Andre Patterson.

Robison recalled the four years the duo spent together, and the lessons he learned on and off the field.

“I will always cherish our time on the field, but I will cherish our time off the field even more,” Robison said. “You taught me things about life, about relationships outside this building, about the change in the world today … you opened my eyes to things I never would have imagined.”

“Thank you … you will always be a part of my life,” Robison added.