10 Vikings Potential X-Factors in 2020: Ifeadi Odenigbo

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
cdocizzganbk20jbqqqr

Earlier this offseason, Odenigbo explained why he was able to take a step forward and finish third in sacks on the 2019 Vikings behind Danielle Hunter (14.5) and Everson Griffen (8.0).

"I think it just kind of clicked. Also, I was given an opportunity and I made the most of it," Odenigbo said. "But obviously, having guys like Everson Griffen and Linval [Joseph], who kind of set the mark and how to act like a professional. Having guys like Danielle, [too].

"My time when I was on practice squad for the first couple of years, I kind of very slowly took notes, saw how [Vikings Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line Coach Andre Patterson] was coaching them, saw the preparation," Odenigbo added. "I was fortunate enough to have a good year because I was buying in. That's the most important thing as a young guy, you have to buy in, get rid of your old ways and embrace the new ways."

Best Splash Play So Far

Odenigbo had never scored a touchdown in his life, but that changed in Week 15 of the 2019 season against the Chargers — the team Odenigbo grew up rooting for as a youngster.

With the Vikings leading 12-10 late in the second quarter, Hunter stripped the ball from quarterback Philip Rivers on a sack. Odenigbo eventually recovered the pigskin and raced 56 yards for a score, giving the Vikings a two-score lead on the way to 39-10 win.

"It was pretty cool. That was my first-ever career touchdown," Odenigbo said. "Never got one in high school. Never got one in college. Being able to get one in L.A. is pretty neat."

Added Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer: "That was a big play. He hustles all the time, so that was great for us. The game was kind of going back and forth at that point, so for us to get that right before the half was really big."