5 Player Updates from Robert Saleh during Week 2 of 49ers OTAs

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
qkml9i2sv20szhrq1bju

3. Depth in the Secondary

One of the biggest storylines this offseason was the 49ers changes, or lack there of, in the secondary. San Francisco’s lone additions included Verrett in free agency and rookie cornerback Tim Harris in the sixth round of the draft. San Francisco forced just seven turnovers in 2018, including a league-low two interceptions. The 49ers have reiterated their belief in the players already in the building.

“You know, the health is always the big deal. I’ll start with Sherm (Richard Sherman) coming back with having now been a full two years removed from his Achilles,” Saleh said. "Spoon (Ahkello Witherspoon) has come with a renewed mindset and he’s looking like the person that we were having a lot of faith in after the first half of his rookie year. Then you’ve got guys who are out there competing. You’ve got Verrett, who’s just champing at the bit to come in, and I could go through, (Greg) Mabin, all of them. It’s an exciting group to work with if we can stay healthy.

“I think outside our nickel spot, K’Waun (Williams) is good. At safety, (Jaquiski) Tartt and Jimmie (Ward), Marcell (Harris), A.C. (Adrian Colbert), (Antone) Exum, I’m sure I’m missing somebody, but it’s a really talented group. There’s a lot of natural competition at those spots. It’s unfortunate what happened to Jimmie, but we have a lot of confidence in that group because it really is a talented group. It’s just got to stay healthy.”

4. Shift in the Secondary

When the 49ers drafted Tarvarius Moore in 2018, they envisioned the former Southern Miss safety transitioning into an NFL cornerback. However, partially due to the current injury situation with Ward and D.J. Reed, Moore has found himself back at his natural position. Saleh added there has been no firm decision on where Moore will play in 2019, but he suggested free safety could be a full-time move depending on his performance.

“We’ll cross that bridge when we get to training camp,” Saleh said. “Right now, with all the injuries and all the different lineups with all the guys missing, we’re trying to make sure that everybody’s getting reps. That’s something that we loved about Tarvarius Moore is that we drafted him knowing that he’s got great versatility where he could play corner and safety. Him being back there at safety for these OTAs, if he lights it up, we’ll see it.”

5. No Worries Regarding Bosa

San Francisco’s first round pick only saw one full practice of OTAs prior to suffering from a low-grade hamstring strain. The 49ers announced last week that Nick Bosa would miss the remainder of the offseason workout program, but they are optimistic the edge rusher will return by training camp in late-July. Despite missing the physical reps, Saleh believes Bosa will have no problem getting back up to speed over the next few months.

“You’d love for him to be out there just so he can go through and get his reps,” Saleh said of Bosa. “For those guys, maybe I underscore the D-Line every once in a while, but it’s just the mindset and all that stuff that he’s missing, just getting his legs under him. He hasn’t played football in a year. To get his sea legs back, if you will. That’s what I feel like he’s missing, but I’m not worried about him being able to catch up.”