5 Things to Know About New Vikings S Brian Cole II

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
liohfmgo4ee3ewsknh9u

3. From Michigan to Minnesota

Cole grew up in Saginaw, Michigan, and he was ranked as a four-star prospect coming out of Heritage High School.

He shares an alma mater with former NFL safety Stuart Schweigert, whom the Raiders drafted in the third round (67th overall) in 2004.

Cole is one of six Michigan natives on Minnesota's roster, joining tight end Tyler Conklin (Chesterfield), wide receiver K.J. Osborn (Ypsilanti), defensive end Kenny Willekes (Rockford), Eric Wilson (Redford) and defensive end Anthony Zettel (West Branch).

Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins grew up near Chicago but moved to Holland, Michigan, in seventh grade and considers the Grand Rapids suburb his hometown.

4. Son of a police officer

Cole's father, Brian Cole, Sr., is a 25-year veteran of the Michigan State Police Department. Of those two-plus decades working in law enforcement, he spent 14 years as a polygraph examiner.

The younger Cole said his childhood was "strict" but added that he has tremendous respect for his father.

"He did lie-detecting examinations, so he does a lot of things where he can tell if you're lying and knows if you're telling the truth," he explained. "He's supportive, and he handles his business. He's a man that's going to get the job done. He leads by example in everything that he does."

In elementary school, Cole's father visited his classroom on "Bring Your Parents to School Day" and conducted a lie-detector test on his son for the other students.

"I don't even remember what he asked me, [but] I don't think I did pass," Cole laughed.