6 Vikings Picks Describe Their Games & Connections to Other Players

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
rycvah8jgvln1z5whyas

Cameron Smith on longtime rivalry with new teammate Browning

Cameron Smith and Browning have seen each other a time of two on the football field.

Both players grew up playing football in Northern California and went to rival high schools about 10 miles apart. The rivalry continued in the Pac-12.

But the two are now teammates, as Smith was a fifth-round pick at linebacker out of Southern California, and Browning is an undrafted free agent quarterback from Washington.

Smith revealed Friday that he received a text message from his high school and college rival after the draft ended Saturday evening.

“He texted me right when the draft finished and he signed with the Vikings,” Smith said. “He said, ‘I guess after 15 years of playing against each other, we’re going to be on the same team now.’

“I didn’t realize that until the next day because I had put my phone away because I wanted to enjoy it with my family. But you’d be surprised how pumped I am that he’s here,” Smith said. “It always makes it easier, going in, knowing somebody and having a relationship already built. I’m happy that he’s here, and hopefully we can continue it.”

Smith said the two caught up a bit Friday afternoon, with Smith reminding the quarterback of the interception he snagged in high school. Browning has bragging rights, however, considering his team [Folsom High School] earned a 63-0 win over Smith’s Granite Bay squad when the two were seniors in 2014.

Smith later offered up a scouting report on his former foe.

“He’s one of the more instinctual players that I’ve seen,” Smith said. “Even in high school, he had a great feel for when to deliver the ball. I’m not going to get all quarterback coachy, but he’s always been able to put the ball right where it needs to be.

“And he’s a winner,” Smith said of the quarterback who holds the Pac-12 record with 39 career wins. “He’s got a knack to win, and you saw that in high school and college. Someday, we’re going to see it in the NFL.”

Smith, a four-year starter for the Trojans, recorded 354 total tackles in 47 games in college. He tallied 26.5 tackles for loss with 3.5 sacks and four interceptions. He also forced a fumble and had three fumble recoveries.