Aaron Jones 'would love to be a lifelong Packer'

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
a1d216bazv5fg6syqxl2

"Whether it's my first year or my last year on a deal, I'm going to be just as motivated," Jones said. "It doesn't change just because a contract is on the line for me. I'm going to continue to work and do everything in my power. I trust my agency and the Packers.

"With that, I would love to be a lifelong Packer."

While he may not have total control over that if he wants to maximize his value on a second contract – which for running backs can often be the only big one due to shorter careers – Jones has shown he can do what he puts his mind to.

Last year, he mentioned on "The Rich Eisen Show" that one of his goals was to lead the league in touchdowns. This coming from a player who hadn't even hit double digits in a season yet in his career.

Lo and behold, with 16 rushing TDs and three more receiving scores, he tied Carolina's Christian McCaffrey for the top spot with 19 in 2019.

"When I said it, people were probably like, 'Who is this guy? He's not even a full-time starter.' And probably laughing," Jones said. "To just accomplish that, you set them high and achieve them, that feels good."

McCaffrey just became the league's highest-paid running back a couple of months ago, though he has a longer track record of success than Jones, who came to the Packers as a fifth-round draft pick from UTEP in 2017.

Matching or exceeding his numbers from last year won't be easy, either, with the Packers investing a second-round draft pick in Boston College running back A.J. Dillon. He joins Jones and fellow 2017 draft pick Jamaal Williams to give Head Coach Matt LaFleur three legitimate backfield options for his offensive vision in 2020.