Adam Gase doesn’t answer when asked if he wants Le’Veon Bell back

Broadway Joe

Mar 19, 2019
gettyimages-1193654794-e1577740589887.jpg

Getty Images

Jets coach Adam Gase is declining to say whether he wants running back Le'Veon Bell back on the team in 2020.

Gase was asked today whether he wants Bell on his team next year, and he said only that it’s a question for General Manager Joe Douglas.

“He’s under contract for three more years,” Gase said of Bell. “You can ask Joe tomorrow.”

Asked again, directly, whether Gase wants Bell back, Gase answered, “You can ask Joe tomorrow. I’m not the personnel — not in charge of personnel.”

Later in the press conference, Gase did indicate that he expects Bell back, referring to plans to work with him in the offseason and perhaps use more of the concepts that worked for Bell on the Steelers.

“I think that was a conversation we had a couple weeks ago, we talked about looking at some of the stuff they did in Pittsburgh and talking through some of the things he’s comfortable with in the run game. . . . I can go back to him and we can talk through that stuff when we get back in the spring,” Gase said.

For his part, Bell saw Gase’s comments and responded with a tweet showing Michael Scott looking unhappy. It appears that Bell and Gase are unhappy with each other, but whether they’re unhappy enough to move on from that expensive contract Gase referenced remains to be seen.