Adamant not to miss a practice, Drew Lock sees offseason work pay off

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
scum3ntpa79dr2fbwlov

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Quarterback Drew Lock didn’t sign his rookie contract until just hours before his training camp practice was scheduled to begin.

But the second-round pick never had any intention of missing his first training camp reps with his new team.

“I was anxious to get out on the field,” Lock said Thursday. “I knew from my side of the party, we were trying to get things worked out. The Broncos and my agency were working together, but I told my agency beforehand that if it got to the point where I was missing practice, then there was no chance we were going to go on with it. I was going to sign a deal and I was going to get here, because the most important thing to me was getting out here.”

Missing a practice, Lock said, is “just not who I am.”

“I didn’t necessarily want to get behind in anything,” Lock said. “I was behind in the [conditioning test], but we made it up today. There was no ounce of me that didn’t want to be out on this football field, taking every rep that I was supposed to take and being with the guys every second that I could be today and then for the rest of training camp.”

Now that he’s out there, Head Coach Vic Fangio will look for Lock to show “improvement in all areas."

“Command of the offense,” said Fangio when asked what he wants to see from Lock during training camp. “Command at the line of scrimmage. Decisions on where to throw the ball, how quickly he can make those decisions.

“Just become a quarterback.”