Brighter spotlight hasn't changed Allen Lazard's outlook

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
il2sxgjc40vwrba04g2u

Asked whether he'd rather make a big catch or a big block that leads to a big gain on the ground, Lazard instantly chooses the latter. He credits his father, former Iowa State defensive back Kevin Lazard, for instilling that grittiness in his game.

Looking to take things to the next level in 2020, Lazard spent the offseason in Arizona with close friend Manny Wilkins, who was a member of the Packers' practice squad in 2019.

That arrangement not only gave Lazard a capable quarterback to throw him passes but also someone to push him each day in workouts. A popular target for Rodgers on third downs last year, Lazard trained with the focus of preparing his mind and body for a full NFL season.

"Really, I was only playing the second half of the season so the first half, I wasn't playing as much," Lazard said. "Now, I've got to look at it as I'm really going into this season to play a full 16 games offensively and special teams, as well. From that standpoint, I started taking care of my body a little bit more, making sure I was stretching, doing the right rehab and to make sure I was able to stay up on my mobility."

Simply put, Lazard wants to be an "any-down security blanket" for Rodgers this season. While his place on the roster may be secure, that doesn't mean there's nothing more for Lazard to prove. Arguably the hottest topic of the Packers' offseason was how the team didn't select a receiver in April's NFL Draft.

The howling resurfaced two weeks ago after free-agent acquisition Devin Funchess opted out of the 2020 season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, meaning improvement will have to come from within for the Packers' young receivers.

Lazard takes all the outside chatter in stride. To him, every season is a prove-it year. In 2020, he's eager to show his Cinderella story has more than one chapter.

"I mean honestly we just kind of laugh at it because it shows the little acknowledgement of what value we actually bring to the room and to the team," Lazard said. "We're very confident in ourselves. A lot of us are returning and we've been in this system for two years if not been here in the organization for more, playing with these players. So I think it's more so just building this (chemistry) and understanding and trusting each other out there on Sundays."