Bud Grant Surprises Fran Tarkenton to Reminisce on KFAN Call

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
pwpkxtpkwas8xol0ipjv

The pair of Hall of Famers honored the memory of Shula, who passed away last week; they reminisced and reflected over the air waves, recalling details of games played decades ago.

"He had a great record and was a great competitor," Grant said of Shula, whose 1973 Dolphins defeated the Vikings in Super Bowl VIII.

"They have the Lombardi Trophy, which I'm not a big fan of Vince," added Grant, should one wonder about the history of the Vikings-Packers rivalry. "He's a great coach, but I don't think he did anything near what Shula has done in the coaching field. I think they should have some kind of trophy, some kind of a recognition, for Don Shula for the job he did in the many years he was in the NFL."

In 1972, Shula led Miami to a 17-0 season (14 regular-season games and three playoff wins) and Super Bowl VII victory over Washington. As Grant pointed out, however, the Dolphins "almost didn't" achieve perfection. Minnesota nearly topped Miami Week 3.

The Vikings were flagged for a penalty at the end of the game, allowing the Dolphins to kick a field goal and seal the 16-14 win.

"It just wasn't [meant] to be that day because we sure played good," Tarkenton remembered. "Then we had the break there at the end that didn't go our way."

Grant responded: "That's right. And that's why I say, 'You can be as good as you can be, but you have to be lucky, too.' The penalty and things like that, a fumble, one play in the ball game can make a difference.

"We had our share of good luck; we cannot complain," he added.

Grant will celebrate his 93rd birthday on May 20; Tarkenton is just 13 years younger.

"Bud [has] heard me say this 1,000 times … I would stand next to him, or sit next to him on my helmet, at practice when I wasn't running the offense … because he is the smartest human being I've ever known," Tarkenton said. "Everything he ever said, made sense. Sometimes he [angered] me, but everything he ever said made sense. He never yelled or chewed anyone else, but he got us to do what he wanted us to do to give us the best chance to win. He was a joy to play for."

Tarkenton joined the Vikings for their inaugural 1961 season but was traded to the Giants just before Grant took over for the 1967 campaign. In 1972, Grant brought him back to Minnesota.

Tarkenton called his time in Minnesota, during which the Vikings appeared in four Super Bowls over an 11-year span, "a great run."