Burning Questions: Broncos at Vikings

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
jicquworec2mbieb4kk4

CAN VON MILLER ADD KIRK COUSINS TO THE LIST?

If the Broncos can indeed limit Cook's production, Von Miller may be able to take over.

The seven-time Pro Bowler has sacked 49 quarterbacks during his NFL career — and he'll aim to make Kirk Cousins the 50th player on Sunday.

When the Broncos played the Cousins-led Redskins in 2017, Miller wasn't able to bring him down as the Broncos lost in a Week 16 matchup. If he can get a hold of him this time — and perhaps force a fumble in the process — Miller could swing the game in the Broncos' favor.

"Sacks are the things that you want, and turnovers and forced fumbles right after that," Miller said Thursday. "I just try to play my game. ... I don’t really put as much thought into like sacks. I go in there and try to be the best player I possibly can. I try to take on double-teams, beat double-teams, play the run, anticipate snap count and that will lead to sacks. That’s what has been great for me in the past.”

That will be a tough task for Miller, though. Cousins has been sacked just 17 times this season, which is the sixth-lowest total in the NFL. With that protection, Cousins has completed 69.1 percent of his passes and thrown 18 touchdowns with just three interceptions.

Even without the sacks, Miller could still make an impact. He is seventh in quarterback pressures, according to Pro Football Focus, and he remains active in the run game.

“Von’s gotten a lot of attention from the opposing offenses in the games," Fangio said Thursday. "I think he’s had two [sacks] taken away through penalties. You look around the league [Bears OLB] Khalil Mack’s sacks are down this year. [Rams DT] Aaron Donald’s are down. It just happens sometimes. He’s gathering a lot of attention from other teams, but overall he’s still playing good.”

If Miller sacks Cousins, he'll do more than just add another quarterback to his list. He'll also pass Jim Jeffcoat for 29th place on the NFL's all-time sack list.