Cardinals Add Tay Gowan, Victor Dimukeje In Sixth Round

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
a6vpvcbbsl23jc9ggytu

The Cardinals' draft was headlined by the picks of linebacker Zaven Collins, wide receiver Rondale Moore and cornerback Marco Wilson.

They also have a handful of late-round selections that will be used to add depth to the roster. Here is a look at the Cardinals' choices in the sixth and seventh rounds as they come in:

Sixth round (No. 210 overall): Duke outside linebacker Victor Dimukeje

The Cardinals went with some youth on the edge with their first pick of the sixth round. Dimukeje, who is listed at 6-foot-2 and 262 pounds, averaged eight sacks per season in his final two years with the Blue Devils and gives the team a long-term option behind Chandler Jones and Markus Golden, who are both in their 30s.

Dimukeje was an honorable mention All-ACC performer as a senior, accumulating 39 tackles, 7.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and eight tackles for loss. He felt the Cardinals were interested after outside linebackers coach Charlie Bullen showed up at his Pro Day workout.

"We built a relationship," Dimukeje said. "He actually loved me. He loved how I played. When he showed up to Pro Day, he felt like I was a good fit for the Cardinals."

Dimukeje may not have ideal edge-rusher size but doesn't think it will be a hindrance at the NFL level.

"I feel like (6-foot-2) is a good size for an edge," Dimukeje said. "I know how to set the edge at my size and I have better leverage. And I can cover, too. My all-around game, I feel like it's a good fit for this defense."

Sixth round (No. 223 overall): Central Florida cornerback Tay Gowan

The Cardinals went to the cornerback well for the second time on Saturday with the selection of Gowan. The 6-foot-1, 186-pound outside cornerback opted out of 2020. He had 31 tackles, two interceptions and eight passes defensed for the Knights in 2019 and expected to go much higher in the draft.

"I'll be a Tom Brady of the corners," Gowan said. "I think I needed this. I needed this in my journey, and the way I'll approach the game. I want to say thank you for the wait, actually."

Florida's Marco Wilson was selected in the fourth round, as the Cardinals look to add some young players with upside at a cornerback position that needed depth. Gowan earned a coverage grade of 80.1 from Pro Football Focus in 2019 and was the site's 69th-rated prospect heading into the draft. According to PFF, Gowan only allowed a 26.6 passer rating in single coverage in 2019.

He opted out of the 2020 season after contracting COVID, deciding not to return to the field for his own health and to protect his family. Gowan believes it hurt his draft stock, but is looking forward to proving himself with the Cardinals.

"It's going to be a great outcome,," Gowan said. "I truly believe that. I truly believe in my talent."

More to come as the Cardinals make their other draft picks.

Continue reading...