Cardinals Trending Up, But Questions Await In Key Offseason

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
woehhafxxggsaxb40bcv

“That’s another discussion we’ll have,” Kingsbury said. “I thought he made big steps and with an entire offseason in our system he has a chance to really take off. We have to sit down with personnel and see where we are at with those guys.”

-- Kingsbury wasn’t prepared to announce any changes to his coaching staff Monday, although a report came out that the Cards were going to move on from defensive line coach Chris Achuff and special teams assistant Randall McCray.

-- On what positions might be the priority in free agency, “we’ll have those discussions in the next couple of weeks.”

The enthusiasm, however, hasn’t been dampened even with so many significant questions. That particularly begins with Murray. The rookie left an impression on teammates with his willingness to play with a hamstring injury Sunday. He became only the sixth player in NFL history with 3,500 passing yards and 500 rushing yards.

He also has shown the right perspective in viewing a season filled with more losses than he had ever experienced.

“I’ve won my whole life but I understood what I was getting into at the beginning of the year,” Murray said. “I understand that I’m young and it’s a new coach, new system. You’re going to have ups and downs and we understood that.

“I think we came a long way from the beginning of the season and that’s what matters. Carrying that on to next season, I think we’ll get better and better.”

It helps when there is not significant coaching turnover. Given all of Kingsbury's comments about working with Steve Keim, the general manager also figures to remain in place.

“That instability and not knowing, who your (head) coach is going to be, who your position coach is going to be, it definitely puts you a little more at ease,” linebacker and special teamer Ezekiel Turner said. “It’s, ‘OK, I can pick up where I left off at’ instead of ‘I have to learn a whole new scheme.’ ”

Kingsbury gets a little stability too, having been through one offseason already with the Cardinals having a better understanding what the offseason NFL world is like.

“I hope we can take a big step,” Kingsbury said. “Last year you get here and try and keep your head above water and get all your processes in place. Now you have a chance to fine tune some of those processes and hopefully figure out what you did well, what you want to change (and) not spending so much time just getting it in.

“That’s an exciting time in terms of how much improvement we can make.”

Continue reading...