Chalk Talk: Have Bears ever had perfect season?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ub1lbghmrn1c7cggaczo

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

Following the passing of coaching legend Don Shula, the NFL paid tribute and said that the 1972 Dolphins were the only team in NFL history to go undefeated. I think they meant to say that the Dolphins were the only team in the Super Bowl era to go undefeated. I believe that the Bears had at least one undefeated season prior to the Super Bowl era. Am I correct?
John R.
Las Vegas, Nevada

I have received several emails from fans asking the same question as you, John. While the Bears have twice had undefeated regular seasons—13-0 in 1934 and 11-0 in 1942, they lost in the NFL Championship Game on both occasions, falling to the Giants 30-13 in 1934 and the Redskins 14-6 in 1942. The 1972 Dolphins are, in fact, the only NFL team that has ever had a perfect season, winning all of their games, both during the regular season and playoffs. In addition to the Bears, the only other team to go undefeated in the regular season was the 2007 Patriots, who lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl. Before the NFL devised a playoff system, four teams in the 1920s did not lose a regular-season game, but all four tied at least one contest.

I saw your Chalk Talk post about siblings who have played for the Bears. Didn't the Ayanbadejo brothers both play for the Bears briefly too?
Brian M.
Sacramento, California

You are correct that Brendon and Obafemi Ayanbadejo were Bears teammates during the 2007 offseason and preseason and I probably should have included them in my answer about brothers who have played for the team. But while Brendon was a two-time Pro Bowl selection on special teams in 2006 and 2007, Obafemi never appeared in a regular-season game with the Bears.

Is it true that cornerback Jaylon Johnson is the highest University of Utah draft pick the Bears have ever taken?
Richie L.
Salt Lake City, Utah

Yes, that is correct. The Bears selected Jaylon Johnson in the second round of this year's draft with the 50th overall pick. The cornerback is the sixth Utah player chosen by the Bears in the history of the draft. He was preceded by running back Tom Pace (1940 10th round), running back Woody Peterson (1943 32nd round), tackle Reed Nostrum (1946 13th round), fullback Merrill Douglas (1958 6th round) and defensive end Kylie Fitts (2018 6th round).

Chalk Talk features fan questions multiple times each week.
Email your question to Larry.