Chalk Talk: Have new Bears received numbers?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ub1lbghmrn1c7cggaczo

Do you think there’s a chance that Cody Whitehair could switch from center to guard with James Daniels moving from guard to center? I know that the Bears planned to start Whitehair at guard before Hroniss Grasu got hurt and Daniels played center his last two years at Iowa.
Paul R.
Virginia

Coach Matt Nagy revealed last week at the NFL owners meetings that the Bears were considering moving Cody Whitehair to guard and James Daniels to center, saying: “We’re kind of in the middle of that right now looking at how they played at those particular positions—not just those two but everybody. We’re going to stay open to that and if we feel like it’s going to be better to switch somebody we’ll do that and if we don’t then we’ll stick with where we’re at.” I would imagine that veteran offensive line coach Harry Hiestand would have a major say in the decision involving Whitehair, who played in his first Pro Bowl at center last season, and Daniels, who was named to ESPN.com’s NFL All-Rookie Team at left guard.

Why didn’t the Bears give Ha Ha Clinton-Dix a three- or five-year deal instead of signing him for one year?
Thomas E.

Ha Ha Clinton-Dix signing a one-year contract with the Bears is the type of deal that very well could benefit both sides. A Pro Bowler in 2016, the veteran safety had what many NFL observers felt was a down year in 2018. So I’m sure Clinton-Dix is eager to revert to his previous form—he was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2016 with the Packers after registering a career-high five interceptions. Here’s what general manager Ryan Pace said last week at the NFL owners meetings about the Bears signing Clinton-Dix to a one-year deal: “It can be a win-win for both sides. The agent and the player a lot of times, if it gets to that point, can say, ‘Hey, I want another bite at the apple if I play well,’ and sometimes it’s financially advantageous for us, too. And, hey, let’s be honest, usually these one-year deals, [the player is] very motivated, and he has the right makeup and character to come in and play well, and he fits well into the defense and obviously the familiarity with [former Alabama teammate] Eddie Jackson, I think that helps a lot too.”