Chalk Talk: How many Bears have won ROY?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
ub1lbghmrn1c7cggaczo

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

How many rookies of the year have the Bears had?
Bob S.
St. Johns, Florida

The Associated Press has selected an NFL offensive rookie of the year since 1957 and a defensive rookie of the year since 1967. Since the inception of those awards, seven Bears rookies have been honored. Offensive rookies of the year have included tight end Mike Ditka (1961) and running backs Ronnie Bull (1962), Gale Sayers (1965) and Anthony Thomas (2001), while defensive rookies of the year have been tackle Wally Chambers (1973), safety Mark Carrier (1990) and middle linebacker Brian Urlacher (2000).

I recently read your comment about the Bears' two undefeated regular seasons in 1934 and 1942. Wasn't the championship game in 1934 named the "Sneakers Game?"
Scott A.
Bloomington, Illinois

Yes, the Bears entered the 1934 NFL title game against the Giants on an icy field at the Polo Grounds in New York with a 13-0 record (and an 18-game winning streak). They led 10-3 at halftime. But in the second half, the Giants switched to sneakers they borrowed from the Manhattan College basketball team and used the superior traction to their advantage, outscoring the Bears 27-0 in the fourth quarter to rally for a 30-13 victory.

I enjoyed your recent story about Bears rookie receiver Darnell Mooney and was wondering if fellow Tulane alum Matt Forte has reached out to him.
Roger F.
Cicero, Illinois

Yes, rookie fifth-round pick Darnell Mooney told me that Matt Forte reached out to him after the draft, offering advice about the Bears, the city of Chicago and managing his money. Mooney said that he intends to speak with Forte again, saying: "He's a great guy. I plan to have some more conversations with him in the future." Mooney also told me that during his career at Tulane, Forte returned to address the team on multiple occasions, stressing the importance of working together and the need to make sacrifices to achieve goals.

Chalk Talk features fan questions multiple times each week.
Email your question to Larry.