Chalk Talk: When did Bears last trade down in Round 1?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
xrxovnvta0tsvxoka65w

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

I know that the Bears have traded up in the first round a couple times the past few years, but I don't remember them trading down in the first round. When was the last time that happened?
Will F.
Mokena, Illinois

The last time the Bears traded down in the first round of the draft was in 2006 when they sent the 26th overall pick to the Buffalo Bills for selections in Rounds 2 and 3 that they spent on safety Danieal Manning and defensive tackle Dusty Dvoracek, respectively. The Bills chose defensive tackle John McCargo at No. 26. It was the second time the Bears traded down in the first round under general manager Jerry Angelo. In 2003, they moved down twice, sending the No. 4 pick to the New York Jets in exchange for Nos. 13 and 22 (quarterback Rex Grossman) and a fourth-rounder (defensive tackle Ian Scott). They followed by dealing the No. 13 selection to the New England Patriots for No. 14 (DE Michael Haynes) and a sixth-rounder they later traded. The Jets chose defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson at No. 4 and the Patriots picked defensive end Ty Warren at No. 13.

While reading all of the mock drafts out there is interesting, I never hear anything about which ones turn out to be the most accurate. For example, which so-called experts predicted that the Bears would draft Cole Kmet or Jaylon Johnson in the second round last year?
John M.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

I took a look back at 10 analysts who projected the Bears' two second-round picks (and made those predictions after the first round). None of them had either tight end Cole Kmet or cornerback Jaylon Johnson going to the Bears. Four of them projected the Bears would pick LSU safety Grant Delpit at either No. 43 or 50. Delpit went 44th to the Cleveland Browns. One week before last year's draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. correctly predicted that the Bears would take Kmet at No. 43. But in his final mock draft, Kiper moved Kmet up to the Green Bay Packers at No. 30. Interestingly, Kiper had the Bears' other second-round selection also going in the first round with the Minnesota Vikings choosing Johnson at No. 25.

Do you think there's still a possibility that the Bears could bring back safety Tashaun Gipson? I thought he had a solid season last year.
Robert H.
Iowa

I don't believe the Bears have closed the door on re-signing veteran free-agent safety Tashaun Gipson. We'll have to wait and see, but I think they could bring him back to pair with Eddie Jackson in the secondary, especially if they don't select a safety in the draft. That obviously has yet to be determined, so stay tuned.

Chalk Talk features fan questions multiple times each week. Email your question to Larry.