Chalk Talk: Will Bears trade up for OT, WR?

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
xrxovnvta0tsvxoka65w

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

If the Bears are unable to move up far enough in the first round of the draft to get one of the top five quarterbacks, could they still move up to grab a very good offensive tackle or one of the top wide receivers?
Al D.
Shorewood, Illinois

It's certainly possible if there's a specific tackle or receiver they're targeting who they feel they could move up to snag. But just looking at what draft analysts are predicting, it appears that the top five quarterbacks all could be selected in the top 10-12 picks and that there will be quality tackles and receivers available throughout the first two rounds. That would seem to make the chances of trading up for a tackle or receiver less likely, but like I said, if there's a prospect the Bears are targeting, they could move up. We'll just have to wait and see what transpires a week from Thursday night.

It was initially reported that the Bears received a conditional seventh-round draft pick from the Dolphins in exchange for tight end Adam Shaheen. But I see that it has since become a sixth-rounder following the 2020 season. Do you know what conditions were met?
Ron B.
California

I don't know the exact terms, but I believe it has to do with the amount of Adam Shaheen's playing time with the Dolphins this past season. Shaheen appeared in all 16 games with five starts, playing 34 percent of Miami's offensive snaps and catching 12 passes for 150 yards and three touchdowns.

Why do teams release players to free up salary cap space like the Bears did with Kyle Fuller instead of trading them and getting something in return, even a seventh-round draft pick?
Laquan J.
Miami, Florida

NFL players who are released to create salary cap space generally carry a significant cap number. So other teams aren't going to trade for that player and assume his sizable contract when they know there's a pretty good chance that player is going to be released and they can sign him to a more team-friendly contract. With Kyle Fuller, the Broncos (and other teams) weren't going to trade for him when they knew they'd have a chance to sign him to a less lucrative contract following his release.

Chalk Talk features fan questions multiple times each week. Email your question to Larry.