Christian McCaffrey is ‘always moving forward’

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
njuxspydx9cqjo3d4vyj

On importance of run defense:

I certainly think it’s important because run defense and run offense, where the correlation is how does it help you down the road on third down? It’s given them third-and-1 to 5, which teams convert more than 6-plus. I do think it’s important to be able to run the football on offense. When you get leads on people and you want to be able to eat the clock up. Run defense, if you had prioritize one more than the other, you’d lean more on the pass but you still want to be functional with the other.

On bend-but-don’t-break defense:

We don’t want to just fall back, we’ll bend but we won’t break and we’re OK conceding yards until teams get into the red zone and then we’ll tighten up. That’s not how we want to play, but we do know if teams do get down there, we do put a big emphasis on red-zone defense and have done some good things down there. We don’t want to be that team. We play our best defense sitting on the bench and we want our offense out there and we want our guys fresh for when it’s time to go back out. There’s a variety of reasons why we’ve given up some of those drives, it’s something that is of concern and we’re working on it.

On Blake Martinez:

A lot of it is Blake should make a lot of tackle.t hat’s just the nature of the position that he’s playing. But I think Blake’s very, very hard on himself. Perfectionist. Wants to get everything right. I know sometimes he’s had; we’ve dealt with some of his frustration with that, which is just borne out of his how competitive he is and his passion for the game. Overall he’s had some long stretches where h’s played really well and there’s a handful of times where I’m sure there are some plays he’d want to back.

On Kenny Clark:

Well, I think if you look at how we grade him, his grades sheets, he’s been – since I’ve been here – ultra consistent. I mean, well into the 90s percent-wise. So I think part of it is teams are a little bit more aware of Kenny Clark. I mean, he’s a guy who maybe last year when he first came into the league when they looked at the scouting report was just another guy, whereas the success he’s had puts a little bit of a target on him. he’s got more double teams. I think teams realize they can’t single block him unless they’ve got a pretty good player against him. so it’s only natural that his numbers have gone down. Teams have realized, ‘Hey, I don’t want this guy to wreck the game for us.’ I know it can get frustrating for him. he’s had a certain style of play where he’s made plays, and he doesn’t have the ability to do that as much anymore. It’s something that we’re aware of, and Kenny has been solid as a rock for us just from the standpoint of successfully doing his job each play.

Offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett

On Carolina’s pass rush:

I would say, first thing, is get the ball out whenever we do pass the ball. Get the run game going and stay in those manageable down-and-distances. As we look at the past games, the more we keep those chains rolling, we can hold them back and not hold onto the ball too long.