Colts Mailbag: Draft Fallout, Spencer Ware’s Role, Signing A Third Quarterback

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
fbla9fjajnjbedcyew3s

————————

» Jay F. (Mineola, N.Y.):I am a life-long COLTS fan... Both Baltimore and Indianapolis. Shame on you for not mentioning the passing of a Great Colt Gino Marchetti.

Walker: Jay, with all due respect, the Colts had many mentions of the passing of Gino Marchetti that you may have missed. Team owner Jim Irsay tweeted out his thoughts, there was an article on the team website and dedications on the team’s official Twitter and Facebook accounts. On a related note, you oftentimes wonder how effective players from the early days of the NFL could be in today’s game; I have no doubt in my mind that Marchetti would’ve thrived off the edge as a menacing pass rusher in today’s game. What a player he was.

————————

» Mike S. (Anchorage, Alaska):So excited for this upcoming season especially with everything that has happened thus far in the offseason. Since the draft is now over, it seems that the board fell perfectly for us in that we were able to address some areas of need. Taking into account contributions by this years rookies, where do you think our biggest strengths/weaknesses are from a roster perspective?

Walker: As for the major strengths, I’ll go with quarterback, tight end and offensive line one on side of the ball and defensive end and linebacker on the other side. As for areas in which the team might want to still improve after the draft, Colts.com’s Jake Arthur wrote about that very topic recently.

————————

» Brandon B. (Noblesville, Ind.):Hey, so I thought of a couple questions regarding the draft that I couldn’t find specific answers via google. Example, the Colts traded Ridgeway for the super late 7th rounder. Question 1) why trade for a pick so late in the draft when you would more than likely be able to sign him through UDFA? Question 2) assuming this is more of a contractual thing (ex more years initially on drafted player vs signed), does this seem to happen often? Did the Colts have potential “intel” that one of the few picks after that wanted the guy that took? I just think it’s interesting to see a player traded for a pick that late in the draft, but maybe I’m missing something. Hopefully that makes sense.”

Walker: Brandon, I don’t think you make a trade like the Colts did, sending Hassan Ridgeway to the Philadelphia Eagles in the seventh round, if you don’t have a specific player on your board you really want to get. In this case, the Colts acquired the 246th-overall pick, and ended up selecting Ole Miss interior offensive lineman Javon Patterson. That way, the team doesn’t have to risk a guy like Patterson being wooed by other teams as an undrafted free agent and signing elsewhere; he’s now under Indy’s control for four years.

————————

» Tom W. (East Greenbush, N.Y.):Have been reading of Colts interest in signing Chad Kelly as the third QB. I assume the plan might be he becomes the backup when Jacoby leaves. Just wonder if they can afford a roster spot to carry him all season after a stocked draft with real competition at so many positions?

Walker: As of right now, Chad Kelly has just been brought in on a tryout basis for rookie minicamp, despite earlier outside reports the team was going to sign him to its active roster. But whether the Colts do eventually sign Kelly or any other quarterback, Chris Ballard has said that the team has not ruled out the possibility of keeping three quarterbacks on its 53-man roster during the 2019 season (and let’s not rule out the likelihood of the team considering Phillip Walker, as well). With backup Jacoby Brissett in a contract year, that’s just the reality the Colts could face if they want to have someone ready to go to take his spot come this time next year.

————————

» Wes M. (Fort Wayne, Ind.):I love the great draft picks and free agent pickups. Will this be a year that we will see more aggressive play calling on the defense and offensive timing is everything.

Walker: I think you definitely saw the Colts featured much more aggressive playcalling on the defensive side of the football down the stretch last season, whether it was in the form of various blitzes (Kenny Moore II, especially) or the utilization of some different formations and looks. With much more comfort in the system in Year 2 under Matt Eberflus — as well as the addition of Justin Houston and the team’s seven defensive draft picks — I would expect this trend to continue. Offensively, we’ll see. According to NFL Next Gen stats, Andrew Luck last season finished 26th in the NFL in average intended air yards at 7.6. So, in other words, Luck attempted 639 passing attempts last year, and the intended receiver, on average, was 7.6 yards away. So that would indicate there are improvements to be made in this area, although that could really just be dependent on the playcalling more than anything.

————————

» Anthony M. (Dumont, N.J.):Is there a date for Freeny being inducted in the ring of honor yet?

Walker: Not yet. Last year, the Colts announced in February that Reggie Wayne was going to be inducted into the Ring of Honor, and then announced the date of that game in late-April. So with Dwight Freeney being announced as the newest future member of the Colts’ Ring of Honor in early-May this time around, the only thing I can say is just stay tuned to Colts.com and @Colts on Twitter for the latest.

————————

» Melinda H. (Versailles, Ind.):For the past several years, there have been towns/cities that a couple of the Colts have gone to along with Cheerleaders for a few hours. A smaller version of Colts City has been set up also. I was wondering if they are doing this again this year and if so the towns/cities, dates and times. I have attended several of these and have always enjoyed. Thanks

Walker: You’re in luck, Melinda, because the team recently released its Colts Summer Tour dates and locations, which can be found by clicking here.