Damiere Byrd A Cardinals Deep Threat Candidate

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
pkw8hokhdq5dvwdyilvn

Byrd is expected to compete with players like Hakeem Butler, KeeSean Johnson, Kevin White, Trent Sherfield, Pharoh Cooper and Chad Williams to make the roster and then earn playing time.

While players like Fitzgerald, Kirk and David Johnson are expected to get the most touches, Byrd feels like there is plenty of room for others.

“The beautiful thing about this offense is that we run with four receivers,” Byrd said. “You don’t normally see that in the NFL, so that brings out a lot more opportunity in general. It’s a big opportunity for guy Nos. 7, 8, 9 and down the line.”

Kingsbury has brought up the importance of a deep threat a couple times this offseason. Kirk and Isabella have that capability, but it remains to be seen how often they are used in the role. Byrd, who also has punt and kick return ability, would seem to be a natural fit.

“Damiere can really run,” Kingsbury said. “Great speed. He tries to do everything right. Whatever coach (David) Raih is teaching him, he tries to apply to the practice field. So we like his work habits and we like that burst that he brings.”

Byrd averaged 18.6 yards per catch at South Carolina but has only 12 receptions in three NFL seasons. It hasn’t been easy to find a role offensively, and injuries have also plagued him. In Kingsbury’s first draft, three wide receivers were picked, and subconsciously the organization will be rooting for Isabella, Butler and Johnson to succeed.

Byrd doesn’t mind the competition.

“I don’t think I could even name a year when I was in the room that didn’t get a draft pick,” he said. “You kind of just know that’s what it is. They’re always going to bring new people in, but at the end of the day it’s about playing football, and it’s those snaps you get in between the lines. The draft picks and the names being called on TV doesn’t affect how you go out and play.”

Training camp isn’t far off, and while some positions are set, others have much to be determined. Outside receiver is one of those unknowns, and Byrd is ready for his shot.

“I feel like this is perfect for my skillset,” Byrd said. “Spread the offense out, (which) spreads the defense out. The vertical game with the tempo. It fits every one of my strengths.”

Continue reading...