Davante Adams remains fully dedicated, on and off the field

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
tzzpny6qhvhgul893cak

He's taking steps forward off the field as well, and not just as a new father. Adams was part of a collection of NFL stars who put together a virtual video message in the aftermath of the killing of George Floyd. The video was a plea by numerous high-profile players to get the league to support social-justice efforts that were ignored or frowned upon in recent years.

Adams also was a part of the Packers' own team video calling for change surrounding the issues of racism and police brutality. He wants all that to be just the beginning, and while it's not clear how much players around the league will be able to coordinate their efforts while competing during the season, he plans to take a leadership role within Green Bay's locker room as the team decides how it wants to focus its social-justice energy.

"People like me who have the platform and have the voice that people will listen to, I feel like it's imperative for people like me to step up and do my part," he said.

"I'm at the forefront, definitely, as it pertains to this team because I'm definitely a leader here and I think people look up to me and they understand how serious I am with it, so there will be things that we discuss as a team."

Adams added he's had a lot of conversations with people around the league, along with police officers and others who can help make a difference. He's aware of the backlash to some of the outspokenness of celebrities, but he doesn't want to see the initial social-media surge from the spring simply "fade away" without people understanding the seriousness of the issues and bringing about meaningful reform.

"All that stuff's cool and it helps bring awareness, but we need actual changes," he said. "I'm here for the long haul."