Devon Kennard Settles In With Cardinals After Lions Let Him Go

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
cjccrbapslffvf6txh3t

The Cardinals didn't know Devon Kennard would eventually be available as a free agent when he was piling up three sacks against them and then-rookie quarterback Kyler Murray during last year's tie against the Lions.

Kennard, now Murray's teammate, can't even say if he'd be able to have the same kind of game if he'd have to see him again.

"I don't think anyone wants Kyler in the open field right now," Kennard said Thursday. "Seeing what he's doing, even to defensive backs, there aren't that many people who want that smoke."

Cardinals defensive coordinator Vance Joseph wasn't watching Kennard that day, focusing on his own unit. But he did want Kennard, the Phoenix native and Desert Vista High product, on his team when the Lions cut him.

"When he became available, he was obviously someone we wanted to make part of our defense because he was a natural SAM 'backer, and that position is so hard to find in this league," said Joseph, praising Kennard's ability to both hold up against the run and play against the pass.

Kennard's first sack as a Cardinal came last week, fittingly in his home debut in his home state. This week, he'll benefit from the Cardinals' test run of fans, with his parents, wife and brother able to watch him play against his former team.

Of course, earlier this year, Kennard would've expected to be playing in the game but in a Lions uniform. He acknowledged earlier in the offseason he was surprised when the Lions cut him. Detroit coach Matt Patricia didn't get into specifics about Kennard's release, but lauded Kennard's time in Detroit.

"I had a very special relationship with him, talk to him, and really enjoyed coaching him, enjoyed him as a person," Patricia said. "I really have nothing but great things to say about him and what he did when he got here and how much he helped this team and how great he was in his role. There are changes every year on rosters. That's part of football."

Kennard also seems unfazed by the move these days, no doubt aided by his ability to play for the hometown team.

"You've got to move on," Kennard said. "Football happens. It seems like a lifetime ago now how this whole season and offseason has gone. That's the last thing on my mind."

Instead, Kennard is prepping to face his old team, and giving the Cardinals whatever tips he can against his old club. Maybe he can even sack Matthew Stafford three times, and balance the ledger.

"I remember being upset DK had such a good game against us," linebacker Chandler Jones said. "Maybe if DK didn't get all those sacks, we wouldn't have tied.

"I'm glad he's on our side now."

Continue reading...