Elflein Welcomes Move to Guard, Chance to Mentor Bradbury

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
mrlz9lwgvrnh5wladyce

“He’s obviously a center and a guard, I’m obviously a center and a guard,” Bradbury said. “He’s played the position in this league and I haven’t, so for me to hear things from him and just talk about schemes and plays together … you don’t learn one position.

“We’re both interior linemen, that’s how it works,” Bradbury added. “The depth chart isn’t etched in stone until Game 1, so no one cares who is where right now. We’re just trying to learn the system and build rapport.”

Elflein chatted with the Twin Cities media after Wednesday’s practice about switching positions. And while he noted that footwork and game-day assignments might be different at guard, he is embracing the fact that he is healthy this time around compared to last year.

Elflein, who underwent shoulder and ankle surgeries after the 2017 season, said he was able to train this offseason instead of getting his body put back together. At one point Wednesday, Elflein quipped that he was glad to spend his offseason in the weight room and not the hospital.

“Offseason was great. No injuries this time, so I was able to train the whole time. I feel great,” said Elflein, who started the final 13 games of the 2018 season. “Whenever you get a healthy offseason to better your craft, I feel like that’s huge for the upcoming season. I feel good and was able to train. My confidence is up.

“You definitely feel it. I didn’t just have one surgery, I had two,” Elflein added. “When you combine two surgeries and combine that with not being in the weight room all year, you can definitely see some effects. I feel like to go through those surgeries that I did, and train as little as I did, and still perform like I did, that I did my job.”