Ever-confident Jaire Alexander was 'born ready' for starring role

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
z1eunfzv8t2slzh0rdyv

Physically he's ready, too, having credited former teammate and veteran corner Tramon Williams with helping teach him how to take care of his body. He'd like a career as long as Williams', and he kept up a rigorous workout schedule through pandemic-related shutdowns by using meditation and watching less TV.

It also helped him to end the 2019 season on a strong note, the Packers' rough loss in the NFC title game in San Francisco notwithstanding. Alexander felt in the postseason last winter, he was playing at his best personally.

For a player who has routinely taken on the assignment of the opponent's top receiver and never backed down – he has led the Packers in passes defensed each of his first two years, with 15 as a rookie and 23 last year – cranking up his game with the season on the line was another important step he wanted to take.

"I like that I was able to turn that focus over when the games really mattered and really lock in on my coverage and just prove that I am elite in this league," he said. "So I think that was the biggest takeaway, that I can do those things and when I lock in and when I master my craft, the sky is the limit."

The biggest thing missing from his list of accomplishments is more interceptions. He's had just three over his first two seasons.

His answer to a question about how to get more ("Just catch the ball") would indicate he believes he's had the opportunities and just has to cash in.