Four Will Compete For Cardinals' Starting Right Guard Spot

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
dylfux667zr2r1vo6bti

While right guard is in flux, the Cardinals have the potential to roll out an imposing left side of their line. Humphries was one of the best left tackles in the NFL in 2020 and, at age-27, is in his physical prime. Pugh had some penalty issues last season but was otherwise solid, while Hudson was recently named the best center in the NFL by Pro Football Focus.

"D.J. and Pugh have played really well together, and then you bring in a Pro Bowl talent like Rodney with that type of experience, it's just going to help solidify things even more," Kingsbury said. "I'm really excited to see how that all jells and comes together with that group."

Humphries said starting alongside Pugh since 2018 has improved their chemistry, which he hopes to build upon in 2021.

"We trained together the last two offseasons and it's helped us groove into what we do with our combo blocks, our communication and whatever the case may be," Humphries said. "It makes it a lot easier. So I think it's continuing to groom that and continue to find our identity and play tenacious football."

Hudson isn't just an elite pass-blocker, but has the type of experience to help quarterback Kyler Murray dissect a defense at the line of scrimmage.

"He's seen every situation, dealt with so many different things at that position," Kingsbury said. "He will definitely bring a calming presence to our offensive line and our offense in general."

Pro Football Focus heaped praise on Hudson this offseason and was similarly complimentary of Humphries last year. However, when their preseason offensive tackle rankings came out, Humphries was only No. 26 because of the small body of work as an elite player.

He took a good-natured jab at the analytics site when the ranking was relayed to him on Tuesday.

"I must have cussed somebody out over there or something," Humphries said. "I don't even think they believe that."

If Humphries and Hudson can duplicate their recent success, the Cardinals will have two Pro Bowl-level anchors on the offensive line. The group has upside, as it earned high marks in ESPN’s 2020 offensive line rankings and the personnel looks upgraded heading into 2021.

"I think it's going to be a fun year for us," Humphries said.

Continue reading...