From jail to the NFL: How McTelvin Agim's grandmother inspired him to build a better life

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
lfhfuizbnxrukeeyw9sp

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — McTelvin Agim thought he'd be able to keep his emotions contained on draft night. When the Broncos selected him with the 95th-overall pick, he found out he couldn't be more wrong.

"I actually thought I wasn't going to be emotional when I got the call, but it was just like a relief," McTelvin Agim said. "It was very emotional for me."

This was a dream come true for the former Arkansas defensive tackle, and try as he might, he could not stop the tears as he spoke to Broncos President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway and Head Coach Vic Fangio.

Yet, at times during his childhood, it had seemed like his dream of reaching the NFL would be impossible.

Agim grew up in his grandmother's house in Texarkana, Texas, with his mother, grandmother, sisters, and cousins. He spent most of his time with his grandmother, Charlie McGraw, who became his main source of inspiration.

"I think that he was with her so much as a young child that she left a lasting impression on him," Agim's high school coach, Jay Turley, said.