Getting Open: Eric Kendricks & Ally Courtnall Engage in Supporting Mental Health

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
c9vto4lwcuzvrxurcydi

Ally has been inspired by her fiancé who in December was named the Vikings Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year nominee.

"Ever since I've known him, Eric has been a giver. And he's been so heavily involved in the community and trying to give back, [either] back home or in Minnesota," Ally said. "That kind of lit a fire under me to do better, to be better, because people like him are really rare. … It's just natural for them to do that.

"I think it makes our relationship stronger, too, because it's something that we both really value," she added. "Taking that time out of your day to give to somebody else and seeing how much that means to them, even if it's something so small, I don't think people realize that just a small act of kindness [can go a long way] with somebody."

Eric's philanthropic arm reaches many different areas, from combatting food insecurity to promoting social justice, and – thanks to everything he's learned from Ally – a consistent priority is partnering with organizations that also prioritize the emotional and mental health of community members.

This past year, Eric and Ally tackled a unique effort close to their heart when Ally was contacted by a staff member at Bar None, a youth residential treatment center located north of the Twin Cities.

"These kids come from really traumatic backgrounds and experiences, and they have a really hard time staying in foster homes because of their behaviors that come from some of the trauma they've experienced," explained Ally, who immediately felt drawn to the young people at Bar None.

She and Eric spoke to the youth over videoconference, answering questions and encouraging the group, and afterwards talked with staff members about needs facing the facility.

Eric and Ally have stayed in contact with Bar None and in December joined with multiple Vikings teammates and their significant others to give the youth a memorable holiday.

"It was a good thing for everybody," Eric said. "Obviously during the holidays, everybody's buying gifts and receiving gifts and things like that, but the little things you do for people – to provide confidence, to provide all sorts – big or small, I really liked that as teammates we did it together."