Highlights from Joe Brady's introductory press conference

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
pjnace5njalrrmc5sntj

An early start

Brady has become known for his innovative, high-scoring offense thanks to his time at LSU, but he got his start designing plays well before his time in Baton Rouge. Brady's roots as an offensive schemer date all the way back to his childhood when he'd doodle play ideas in notebooks in elementary school.

"I was five years old, eight years old," Brady said. "When you have some time in the classroom in elementary school, you're probably drawing up plays, and then it becomes real when you go to college and realize you're not a very good football player. You've got to realize that you're probably not going to play in the NFL, so let's try to make coaching your career."

From that point, Brady used whatever position he was in to help him better understand offensive schemes. Even as a defensive assistant at his alma mater, William & Mary, Brady would explore the concepts that gave his linebackers trouble to determine what would work when he eventually had an offense of his own to direct.

Creating a custom scheme

Instead of trying to fit the Panthers' offense into a predetermined scheme he established at LSU or during his days in New Orleans, Brady is coming to Carolina with the same approach that brought him success at his past stops.

"We found what our players did well, and we put them in position to have success," Brady said. "We weren't just running plays to run plays. We were looking to find out what our guys do well, and that takes time."

After just a handful of days on the job, Brady said he wasn't familiar enough with the team yet to identify what those strengths were, but that they would be identified over time during OTAs, minicamp and training camp.

"Our system is going to be what our players do best," Brady said. "I think that changes year to year, I think that changes based upon what you have."

That means adapting on the fly sometimes based on which players are available and on which plays, but to Brady, the most important thing is making the most of what you have.

"At the end of the day, it's all about a vision that you have for your players," Brady said. "Each person on your roster, on your offense, you should have a vision for an they all have to play a role. When you can find guys that fit the vision and understand their role, that's when I think you have success."

Brady's ever-changing approach to his offensive schemes goes hand in hand with how he described the NFL and football as a whole.

"The game evolves every year. As a play caller, as a coach, you have to evolve," Brady said. "There's no such thing as a bad idea right now, so let's work towards creating a system that we feel proud of."