Ibraheim Campbell looks to bring another midseason boost to Packers’ defense

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xopzdb0s5rcnvxsr6okq

GREEN BAY – Exactly one year to the day he was claimed off waivers by the Packers, Ibraheim Campbell was re-added to the team’s 53-man roster on Tuesday from the physically unable to perform list.

Now, both sides are hopeful the fifth-year safety can make a similar impact on defense and special teams as he did last year on short notice.

Campbell, who was brought in after Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was dealt to Washington at trading deadline, transitioned seamlessly into the scheme of defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, whom he previously played for as a rookie in Cleveland in 2015.

Despite the late arrival, Campbell racked up 18 tackles (15 solo) and a forced fumble in 112 defensive snaps over three games. He alternated between safety and a hybrid linebacker role, earning high marks for both his tackling and coverage.

Pro Football Focus credited Campbell with five stops and no missed tackles during that three-game stretch.

“He played the run really well,” said defensive end Dean Lowry, who played with Campbell at Northwestern. “He came downhill. He wasn’t afraid to come downhill and hit people. That’s kind of what he’s always prided himself on since he’s been in college.”

The string of strong outings earned Campbell his first start with the Packers against Arizona on Dec. 2. After recording eight tackles in the game, however, the 5-foot-11, 210-pound safety suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

The timing was unfortunate for Campbell, who never had experienced a significant season-ending injury before. With an expiring contract after the 2018 season, Campbell was forced to play the NFL waiting game.

He underwent surgery, rehabbed and was running again in four months. The Packers finally called in August to re-sign Campbell, placing him on PUP for the first half of the season before he returned to practice in Week 7 and was officially activated Tuesday.

“I feel great physically,” Campbell said. “I don’t even feel a difference when I’m out there running around. So, I’m playing as fast as I’ve ever played. I feel good out there.”