Inbox: Do what they do

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
eizykuljyrtoxy7gwrpe

Richard from Farmington Hills, MI

The problem with a wild-card series is that it gives the other playoff teams a long layoff. This would be very unfair and detrimental to them. For example, in both 2006 and 2012 "my" Detroit Tigers swept their LCS and had to wait about a week before the World Series began. They played poorly and it was obvious the long layoff had a very negative impact.

I think an opening best-of-three series between the two wild-card teams could be established with minimal break for the division winners.

Andrew from Falls Church, VA

Thoughts on the inverted jersey? It definitely stands out, but I wouldn't want it to replace the throwback jerseys. The throwback might not be the best-looking clothing ever created, but I for one think there is something special about remembering the past.

I don’t mind the inverted jersey, but if it were to be used in a game, I wouldn’t want it worn more than once per season.

Sonia from Fairbanks, AK

Mike stated that the personnel department, which has the responsibility of evaluating college and free-agent players, has 17 people. I envisioned a department at least twice that size. Do you have any information on other teams in this regard? Do the Packers have the resources to compete with the deep pockets of a Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft in an area where there is no cap on spending?

The Packers have plenty of resources to do what they need to. I didn’t look up all the other teams, but according to the website listings of the Packers’ two biggest rivals, the Bears have 17 and the Vikings have 18 in their personnel departments underneath the GMs.

Nick from Plainwell, MI

Hey Spoff, just listened to your interview from “On the Line” with Wobschall from the Vikings. How was it being interviewed by a division rival? Does it help some Vikings fan maybe gain a new perspective on the opposing team?

If it does, great, but that’s not why I did it. I needed Wobby to owe me one. Now he gets to wonder.

Jason from Austin, TX

II, the league has been pushing for 18 games, but I don't think there is enough of a bargaining chip where the players would accept the extra two games unless the finances greatly increased. Do you think 17 games would be more achievable? Lower the preseason to three games and increase the bye weeks to two per team along with cap increases. Because each team has two bye weeks, allow for one bye week leading into a Wednesday or Thursday night game.

I could see such a scenario being part of the discussions. Some readers have wondered about eliminating Thursday night games, but that’s not happening. Last year FOX signed a deal in the neighborhood of $3 billion (with a B) for five years of Thursday night games. The players may despise those games, but their salaries are rising even more in part because of them.

Noah from Green Bay, WI

What is the most underrated opponent the Packers face this season?

San Francisco.

Ryan from Bloomer, WI

When and how will we know our defense is improved? Forget the stats, Pro Bowls and other media accolades. A game-winning, fourth-quarter stop on Sept. 5 would tell me what I need to know.

If I recall, I said something the last time Wes was on vacation about all perspective being lost over the Week 1 result. Be careful.

Tom from Reedsville, WI

Successful defense? Winning every game would be fine with me. I'd think, aside from the obvious (points), that turnovers would suggest a successful defense. If a team could get three turnovers each game, and not turn the ball over themselves, I'm fairly certain they'd win. Has there ever been a team with the worst TO ratio that has won the Super Bowl, or even had a winning season? Or has any team, with the best TO ratio, not even made the playoffs?

Because it’s still the dead zone, I looked up the data from the last decade (2009-18). Of the 22 teams that either led or tied for the lead in their conference in turnover margin, only four did not make the postseason (2012 Bears, ’14 Texans, ’16 Vikings, ’17 Ravens), and of the 18 that made the playoffs, four reached the Super Bowl (’13 Seahawks, ’15 Panthers, ’16 Falcons, ’17 Eagles). Conversely, there were also 22 teams either last or tied for last in their conference in turnover margin, and only one made the playoffs, the ’11 Steelers. That was also the only one of those teams to post a winning record.

Eric from Green Bay, WI

With players starting to talk about holding out for a new contract before they play the last year on their contract, what Packer players are entering their last year on their contract? Anyone we have to worry about sitting out for a new contract?

There have been no holdout rumblings in Green Bay this year, or for a while now. The 2016 draft class (except first-rounder Kenny Clark, whose fifth-year option was exercised) is entering its contract year, so that’s Martinez, Fackrell, Lowry, Davis and Spriggs. Established veterans currently without a contract for 2020 include Daniels, Bulaga, Crosby, Allison, Lewis and Tramon Williams.