Inbox: Does anyone care now?

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gidqqlzmjhkyi9lcwq2o

Jeremiah from Madison, WI

Someone had asked about Tony Romo being a HOF QB and the idea is often quietly dismissed. In contrast, the consensus seems to be that Philip Rivers is a HOFer even if he stops playing. That sounds correct, but I'm wondering why when comparing the two players. Neither has been to a SB or won MVP. Romo has a higher career passer rating, fifth overall at 97.1 vs Rivers at 95.6 (eighth overall). Win percentage we have 56.7 on Rivers and 61.4 on Romo. Does Rivers’ longer career and durability make the difference?

Absolutely. Two playoff wins vs. five matters, too.

Carroll from Madison, WI

"Versatility" was the watchword of the offseason. I quickly understood that it translates into multiplicity (and deception) on both sides of the ball. But in the past few days it dawned on me that it's equally – or more – to depth and, hence, mitigating the impact of injuries. Your thoughts?

Certainly, and it’s a significant factor in building a team and selecting a game-day 46. But while versatile players make rosters, impact players win games. Don’t lose sight of that.

Tony from Chanhassen, MN

I see the Packers released Kapri Bibbs, who I think Wes was high on. When that happens at this point in the year before training camp, is it because they realize the player won’t reach the ceiling that was thought possible? Do they just realize he is too far down the depth chart and are giving him a chance somewhere else? Does he get feedback on why he was released?

I don’t know the specifics behind Bibbs’ release – namely, whether or not he requested it – but as a 26-year-old who was clearly the No. 4 as the offseason program wrapped up, he’s going to have a better chance if he can step into another training camp higher on the depth chart from the get-go.

Darren from Kingston, Ontario

Mike, your comment the other day about your shoulder got me thinking. I imagine any high school or college baseball player would dream of making it to the MLB. I am not trying to open up an old wound, but now find myself wondering about the moment you realized you weren't going to make it to the MLB. If you remember that moment, would you be willing to share it with us by describing it and telling us how it affected you?

I had no illusions of making the big leagues. None. You’ve heard of five-tool players? I was three-tool, at best, maybe 2 1/2. So when I injured my shoulder as a junior in college, it’s not like it ripped some dream away. I just loved the game and wanted to play as long as I could. I was never sure outfield was my best position, but I made the decision very practically. After playing everywhere but catcher and first base as a Little Leaguer, I showed up to freshman tryouts uncertain what I’d go for. In front of the whole group, the coaches told us to split up, sending the infielders one way, the outfielders another. I paused and watched for a moment, and I saw the latter group looking much, much smaller. I played the odds and never played the infield again but ended up one of only two guys in my class to play ball beyond high school.

Karen from Kaukauna, WI

Something that's been stated frequently is that the D is ahead of the O in the "learning curve" because it's the second year for the D program, and the first for the O program. While I agree the O program is new for the entire offense, I'm puzzled about the D. What percentage of D starters are brand new here for this year, and did not play that system? This program is just as new for them as it is for the O. For many D starters it's the first year.

Four of them – the Smiths, Amos and Savage – and Gary could count as a fifth given how much he’s going to play. But having a few new starters is vastly different from having everyone learning a new system from scratch. Players can help fellow players get up to speed with the former. It’s all on the coaches with the latter.

Jim from McLean, VA

I’ve been waiting for the dead zone to ask this. There has been a lot of discussion about coaching trees which got me wondering: Are there any current NFL coaching branches that can get traced back to the Lombardi trunk?

Not really. Dick LeBeau was Bart Starr’s DB coach in the late ’70s, and Dick Jauron held the same position on Forrest Gregg’s staff in the mid-’80s, but that’s about all for anyone connected to the game in the last decade.