Inbox: Enjoy him while he lasts

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
a6yc5q0s4hq6qeahmlig

Avida from Vienna, VA

Hi Mike, will Brian Gutekunst be speaking to the media between now and the draft or will he make himself next available on draft night? Also, has there been any decision on whether minicamps will be held this year?

Gutekunst will make himself available once before the draft, probably when the first round is a week or less away, and then at the end of each draft night. I have not heard any specific plans regarding the offseason program.

Eric from Mequon, WI

When can the players get their new defensive playbooks?

As soon as contact with position coaches and coordinators is permitted, which is usually sometime in May.

Mike from Pewaukee, WI

Who did the Packers draft with that fourth-rounder for Clinton-Dix?

A submission by Sid from Burlington, WI, almost had it, but I'll clarify. When the Packers traded up in the first round in 2019 to get Darnell Savage, they traded the extra first-rounder Gutekunst had secured the year before plus two fourth-rounders, one from the Clinton-Dix trade.

Adam from Phoenix, AZ

In response to Justin from CA, Wes said he would not be shocked if the Packers drafted any position other than QB and RB in the first round. Not TE as well? With Kyle Pitts long gone by the end of the first round, it would be quite the reach to draft a first-round TE, right? Or am I missing someone?

I think you're right. A tight end at 29 would qualify as a surprise, at least to me.

Brian from Twain Harte, CA

The Packers have not had a consistent short-yardage RB since Kuhn (no offense to Lacy). Do you see AJ Dillon in that role this season when the Packers have third-and-1 or fourth-and-1?

Sure, but how quickly we forget Jamaal Williams' reliability in short-yardage situations.

Jeremiah from Madison, WI

In response to Jordan from Virginia Beach, I believe Chris Long and LaGarrette Blount won back to back, playing on the Patriots and then against the Patriots (on the Eagles). And technically, LeSean McCoy just did it this year from the Chiefs and then against the Chiefs (on the Bucs), though I think he was inactive in both games.

Several readers mentioned these examples, while Johan from Pembroke, Ontario, also brought up Brandon Browner for the Seahawks and Patriots in 2013-14, though Browner did not play in Seattle's Super Bowl victory.

H.R. from Las Vegas, NV

No combine in 2020 due to COVID, and a bunch of the pro days were cancelled. No combine in 2021 due to COVID, but the pro days are being held. I guess the question I have is if there is a need to hold the combine any longer? I understand why it was originally instituted, as a way to get all the scouts and players and teams together on a common field for testing. But with the rise of pro days, and players not running drills at the combine (when it was held), why is the combine still needed?

For the record, the combine was held in 2020 (pre-COVID). It's still the most efficient way for the teams and the players to handle the medical checks and interviews. Those have always been more important than the on-field testing anyway. Plus the NFL has made it a huge media event, so it's not just going away.

Rodney from Colleyville, TX

Can Aaron Rodgers repeat the same performance as last year?

That's his challenge, and it's a big one. Though I'm sure his mindset isn't about repeating, but bettering.