Inbox: Everyone's after that ideal combination

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
nu975aenuiiqcj9jwbsx

Steve from Kansas City, MO

Do you think Rodgers would be better served by simply saying he will not answer any questions speculating about his future with GB? Favre made the mistake of saying honestly how he felt during his last few years with GB, and it created all the "will he or won't he retire" BS.

Rodgers didn't say anything different Monday than what he said after the draft. That's why I didn't even include any mention of it in the story I wrote from his media session. I suspect the next time he's asked about the topic, he will respond, "I've said what I'm going to say on the matter, and once again it hasn't changed." Reporters who continue to ask the same question are only going to make his media sessions less informative and newsworthy.

Tony from Cedarburg, WI

I see the biggest challenge to beating the Vikings is going to be Cook. What are your keys for the Packers to beat the Vikings opening week?

He's at the top of the list, no doubt. His absence from the division-deciding Week 16 showdown last year can't be overstated. Minnesota's offense did not look the same.

Bill from Iowa City, IA

MLB has canceled games with just a few players with positive COVID-19 tests on a team. What is your thinking on how the NFL will approach canceling games with positive tests? Do you think they will have some number of players out that will trigger a cancellation? If so, any thoughts on that?

That's a great question. I don't know the answer or how the league will handle it. I think it'll depend on how confident the league can be that no one carrying the virus will be taking the field. It'll be tricky. We've seen in baseball how multiple positive tests showed up over successive days after the initial positives within a team were found. That's where the electronic contact tracing the NFL has put in place with all clubs becomes a crucial measure. If a player/coach who tests positive and anyone with whom he's come in close contact (defined by the CDC as less than 6 feet apart for at least 15 minutes in duration) can be isolated appropriately, I believe they'll try to play the game. If there's legitimate uncertainty as to the potential spread, perhaps not.

Jake from West Allis, WI

Football is described as both a game of replacement, and a young man's game. Will this year be an exception due to roster limits and no preseason? Might it be an advantage to have an older, more experienced roster this year?

Not in the way you seem to be suggesting, I don't think. Second- and third-year players know what it takes to play in this league if they got some experience their first seasons. It's counting on a lot of rookies early in a season like this that could get dicey.

Stratham from Pineview, GA

I have seen several baseball to football comparisons in II concerning travel and the risk it entails. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I see football being far less dangerous in this aspect. Baseball teams travel to other cities and stay there 2-4 nights at a time for a series. A football team can fly in the evening before the game and fly out immediately after. Major difference.

Agreed, and there have been rumors of some NFL teams considering game-day travel in certain situations. I have no idea if the Packers are contemplating any changes, but four of the team's road games (Minnesota, Detroit, Chicago, Indy) require flights of less than an hour.

Gina from Waukesha, WI

Hey Mike and Wes, I was just wondering about padded practices. I know that they are limited to a particular number. But since there is no preseason which involves hitting and tackling, will there be extra padded practices to make up for that? Thank you.

There are 14 padded practices allowed in camp prior to final cuts. I don't have any data in front of me, but that doesn't sound like significantly more or less than a normal camp.