Inbox: He's one to watch this summer

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
sydiyf9studupjritkz4

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

I've been skeptical the season can go off without interruption or be played to a conclusion. Mitch Goldich had an article on the SI website (a proposal to save the 2020 NFL season) that made a lot of sense. He suggests an eight-game schedule (six division and two inter-conference games) with alternating AFC and NFC weeks that would allow teams to recover and adjust to any positive tests. It made a lot of sense and looked like a way to get teams through the whole season with minimal interruption.

It's a reasonable idea but I don't see the NFL going that direction at this point. The league made its choice. It kept its schedule relatively unchanged. That's how the board is set. Now, we all hope teams get to play on it.

Larry from Carney, MI

Good morning. Is the reason there won't be fans at the Packers' first two home games because it will take that long to put up the Plexiglas?

No, it's because of an ongoing pandemic that's showing no signs of slowing.

Phil from Oshkosh, WI

As a fan, where would you feel safer: in an outdoor stadium environment with assigned seating, or a packed bar or restaurant filled with people milling around and high-fiving, etc.? With the gates at Lambeau closed, while some will choose to stay home, I predict every public tavern or eatery with a widescreen is going to be filled to capacity. The total net impact on virus spread might be not much better or even worse.

Sure, but that's up to the individual. I'm worn out asking people to kindly consider the health and well-being of their neighbors, only to have this other segment of society stick out their tongues and say, "Don't want to." You wanna go to the bar or get together with 50 people? Fine. Then, this is the quarantined country we get to continue living in. But the Packers can only do so much. The organization is doing what it feels is in the best interest of its fans asking them to stay home for the first two games at Lambeau, and possibly more. You ask where I would feel safest. The answer is my living room.

Chase from Fort Leonard Wood, MO

Do you know what, if any, additional online security measures are being taken to ensure teams (Patriots) aren't hacking Zoom meetings where their opponents are discussing game plans? It wouldn't take a very good hacker to be able to pull that off.

I don't. My hope is the league is staying on top of it but the Packers have state-of-the-art football technology and IT departments as potential firewalls.

Derek from Eau Claire, WI

Someone asked about the sideline procedures looking much different from years past. I don't see them needing to change. The NFL needs to be very sure that all players and coaches taking the field for a game a negative. Once everyone on the field is negative it should be "play ball" for three hours with no one thinking about the virus, right? If you have to worry about the virus on the field then this whole thing is dead in the water.

Yes, but I expect the league to be very careful and teams to utilize every possible precaution during the first month of the season. It's a game of risk and exposure right now, and nothing can be taken for granted.