Inbox: He finally has the NFL's undivided attention

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
e2iy2acsvzghxmdfamxo

Donald from Fayetteville, NC

Does J.J. Watt qualify as Spoff's big missed news or is that too many degrees of Packers separation to count?

If the "big news" results in me grabbing the Advil, then it counts…and I made two trips to the medicine cabinet on Friday.

Gary from Davenport, IA

I'm putting the over/under for number of "J.J. Watt should become a Packer" submissions at 99. Was it over or under that total? Of course, this was for entertainment purposes only because gambling is illegal at Bushwood.

I'll keep track and let you know how many questions there were at the end of the column.

Bruce from Arbor Vitae, WI

Wes: "And if Devin Funchess wants to play in 2021, I hope we get to see him in this offense with Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Allen Lazard and possibly an incoming rookie." So....are you hinting the Packers are drafting a wide receiver this spring? I certainly hope it's in the first round, since we all know the lack of a first-round receiver kept the Pack from winning the Super Bowl a few weeks ago.

The Packers haven't drafted a receiver in two years. Fun fact: They haven't gone three consecutive years without taking at least one receiver since DraftHistory.com began categorizing players as "wide receivers" in 1965.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

Good morning, Wes! I am very interested in seeing if Equanimeous St. Brown can make the jump in 2021 that MVS made in 2020. Personally, I think the Packers have a myriad of receivers with Adams, Lazard, MVS, EQ, Funchess, etc. Would you say that position is a strength, not a weakness, going forward?

It was just good to see Equanimeous St. Brown playing again. He had a minor setback with the knee early on but established himself as the No. 4 receiver by year's end. I'm sure the two-point conversion play is going stick with him for a bit but there were a lot of positives to draw from E.Q.'s comeback year. The Packers are slated to bring back everyone in the receivers room next year, a rarity in today's NFL.

Scott from Noblesville, IN

The highlight film of Davante Adams is so very enjoyable to watch! Thank you II and packers.com. That being said, it is truly amazing the reel "jumps" from Week 1, to the Pack being 4-1, to its next scene. My question is, did any other receiver who had "a season for the ages" have such a gap in games played throughout the season? I would think no, and would then remind our "often-all-too-critical" fan base of the "just-as-often" wise decision-making ability of our staff.

I'm sure there are more examples but no one else comes to mind. Adams had a career year despite sitting out for 2½ games. Just imagine what his final stat line would look like if he'd played against New Orleans and Atlanta. Adams has arrived, man. It took seven years to get here, but he finally has the NFL's undivided attention.

Peder from Sturgeon Bay, WI

So do you think Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, or someone else, is the really, really good GOAT?

Peter from Ashland, WI

Scot from WPB, FL made a point about a lack of talent on D. I don't agree (per se) but you seemed to get defensive, why? I think the point was, the face of the cupboard looks nice but it's pretty bare past that. Top-tier talent is great but production as a whole is more important. The weakest link breaks first. It's Gute's job to build a strong chain and Barry's job to get the most out of it. Don't get upset cause some fans think we need some stronger links. It takes all 11! Right?

I wasn't upset. I merely disagreed with the premise of the question. The Packers had a top-10 defense and played considerably better during the second half of the season. It wasn't just because of six players who were average or better. I felt it was ridiculous to argue the rest were just "bodies" and responded as such. Do the Packers have work to do this offseason with their defensive personnel? Indubitably, but all Brian Gutekunst has been doing for the past three years is working to "upgrade the talent" of which you speak. It's disingenuous to present Scot's comment as a novel concept.