Inbox: He’s as good a guess as any

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
bqoisy4bedijjcwclv3b

JR from East Moline, IL

First, I'd just like to say I appreciate the efforts and considerations of not including GoT spoilers while still discussing it. Anyway, just want to say how crazy most of Brady's SB years could have swung the other way based on a play or two. Tuck rule, a couple field goals, Tyree catch, Manningham catch, a crazy play call that only happened because of a crazy catch, Edelman catch, bad call on Myles Jack, lining up offsides. Would you say the good luck and bad luck combine for a wash?

That’s what, to me, makes Brady’s career all the more fascinating to review and analyze. He’s been in so many big moments so often that the amount of good fortune and bad luck involved in the end results has gotten somewhat lost, yet it’s a huge part of the story. At least to me.

Dave from Coloma, MI

Excluding any football games, what past professional sporting event do you wish you could have seen in person?

Lake Placid, N.Y. Feb. 22, 1980. If half of a professional sporting event counts.

Jason from Surprise, AZ

If the Packers wanted to, could they opt to travel from Kansas City to Los Angeles without coming home? It's roughly 630 miles from Green Bay to Kansas City and about 2,120 miles from Green Bay to Los Angeles, but it is only about 1,620 miles from Kansas City to Los Angeles. If they were to do this it would save roughly about a half-day’s travel and allow them that rest and adjustment for the time difference.

They could, but moving the entire operation “off site” for a week is a huge logistical challenge that isn’t worth it when the charter flight from the Sunday night game in KC will be back in Green Bay around 2:30 a.m. Even if LaFleur would decide to leave the following Friday for the West Coast, everyone is still in their home beds and in the normal routine for five nights.

Donna from Darien, WI

Seems like Tramon Williams is the type of player any team would love to have in their locker room. Aside from being an excellent, smart player, he seems like just an all-around good person as well.

Couldn’t agree more.

Scott from De Pere, WI

With Josh Jones skipping OTAs and reports of him wanting to be traded or released, it seems like NFL athletes are starting to take cues from NBA players in the fact that they ask or make outright demands for a trade. Obviously Antonio Brown made such a big stink he worked himself out of Pittsburgh. Do you feel that the organization will be setting a precedent with the direction of how they treat this situation?

It depends on the player involved and his status on the team. Antonio Brown is a completely different situation on several levels. Across the entire league, players not among the elite are eminently replaceable, and they are replaced all the time. That’s the ultimate precedent.

Jeff from Brooklyn, WI

I wish players would use the draft as a wake-up call and play harder for their jobs instead of asking for a trade or release because their position is in jeopardy. Just because you were drafted doesn't entitle you to a job. Green Bay has proven to keep undrafted players if they outwork drafted ones. What's your take on this subject?

I don’t begrudge players doing what they think is best for their careers when they aren’t contractually obligated to participate with the team. It’s their business. In this particular case, whether this is what’s best for the player’s career is highly debatable.

John from Madison, AL

When Matt LaFleur was hired, I couldn't help but notice what a wonderful family he has. A beautiful wife, two strapping young boys and wonderful parents who were all with him during his opening press conference. But I really don't envy him because as coach of an NFL franchise and due to the cruelty of many zealous and impatient fans, he AND his family will be under enormous pressure. So my question is, how does a new coach prepare his young children for the perils that may lie ahead?

I have absolutely no idea, and I mean that in all sincerity. I wouldn’t know how to prepare my kids. But LaFleur probably dealt with some of that growing up, albeit on a lower profile, so he can help them through some of what they might encounter. I’d be very wary of social media, for sure.