Inbox: His proving ground lies in the most challenging of spots

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
bwyw9ydwxeitmbmuimrg

Joel from Las Vegas, NV

In Gute's press conference Saturday night he said he was hoping to take a LB early, but that it didn't work out. None of the first-round LBs even got close, and they went about when projected. With the Rodgers trade, it clearly wasn't the third. I think the Packers wanted a LB in the second round, but got left out when Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Nick Bolton, and Pete Werner all evaporated in the 10 picks before our second-rounder. Might I be on to something? If so, why not trade up? They had the ammo.

You might be onto something, but Gutekunst also might have been referring to linebacker targets in the fourth and fifth round who were gone, leading to the selection of McDuffie late in the sixth. Regarding the second round, trading up then would have been more expensive, likely costing either the third-round pick or both fourths. Gutekunst mentioned a few times not wanting to create a huge gap between selections. It was clearly something he strived to avoid.

Patrick from Valrico, FL

I ended up pretty impressed with this draft but what I find even more interesting is the focus on both lines with the UDFA signings. Would you say that this year more so than in the past there could be some real gems to unearth there?

Actually the opposite, based on Gutekunst's comments the UDFA class seemed thin because the overall number of players who declared for the draft was smaller this year. This might be the hardest year in a while for undrafted players to make the roster, but you never know, and practice squads are larger now than previously, too. Pre-emptively, I'll remind everyone packers.com will not have the team's undrafted signings until they're official, which likely requires the players passing physicals prior to rookie minicamp in two weeks.

Chris from Bidford on Avon, Warwickshire

I had a numbness that I didn't expect, whilst listening to the first round. Now that my palpitations have subsided, I can see we had a positive draft. So tell me, Amari is cited as the returns guy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Kylin might have the moves as well. Did Kylin Hill ever return for Mississippi State?

No, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Packers give him some reps as a returner in OTAs/training camp to see what he's got.

Gardner from Circle Pines, MN

Oh, what a draft! I correctly predicted the Pack would select Eric Stokes in the first round because I am a sucker for speed. I hit on Josh Meyers in the second as I am also a sucker for big-time strength. I had the team taking Kylin Hill (I said fifth round, but I claim success anyway). I usually get 0-1 picks right in every draft. Does hitting on three move me any closer to receiving total consciousness?

Nah. You'll get nothing and like it.

Willy from Isny, Germany

Hi II, I'm really excited about our draft class, also about the late-round picks. Cole Van Lanen is a Cinderella story. I think Hill in the seventh round is an absolute steal. He reminds me a lot of Aaron Jones. I think he has a good chance to compete as RB3 on the roster. What do you think about it?

Hill will absolutely compete for the No. 3 running back spot. As for Van Lanen, could a Bay Port High School kid script it any better? Go put in five years at O-line U, holding down left tackle for the Badgers for the last two seasons, and then get drafted by the team that plays 10 minutes from home. Surreal can't even begin to describe it, I would imagine.

Mark from Eureka, IL

I stared at my TV screen when the Packer draft room was aired, but could not spot Mike nor Wes. Apparently I missed Wes there making the first pick in the sixth round. Well done, Wes!

He slipped a note under the draft room door at the start of the sixth round that said, "Cole Van Lanen, No Matter What."

Zack from Christiansburg, VA

Mike, it's not Appalachia … it's pronounced Appa-Latch-a or Appa-Latch-in. Doesn't make sense, but as a native trust me.

Duly noted.

H.R. from Las Vegas, NV

Which Day 3 pick are you most excited to see in action? I'm most excited about T.J. Slaton. I wanna see that big boy plug the running lanes. Overall not a bad pick Day 3, but Slaton has my attention.

This is no knock on Slaton specifically, but I don't care how much someone plugged the run in college, taking on a center-guard double-team in the NFL and holding the point of attack is immensely difficult for any young player. His proving ground lies in the most challenging of spots, aside from QB.