Inbox: It’s as good a barometer as any

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
r4fgzqnw6bbqgd8ytusx

Dale from Wilton, WI

Is the baloney stopping soon, or do we have another month and a half?

T-minus 54 days and counting.

Joshua from Toro Salto, TX

Just watched the video of Josh Norman jumping over a bull. Wes should give that a shot. If not a bull, at least a decent-sized dog. Or Spoff! Yes! He should leap over Spoff! It’d be a great intro clip for “Packers Unscripted.”

T-minus 53 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, 48 seconds and counting.

Max from Troy, MO

If you could pick one player from a non-traditional position to get an offensive touchdown, who would you pick? We’ve talked a lot about Bakhtiari lately, and the Fridge is a relatively famous example, but I wonder if you’ve seen that “something” from anybody else.

Mike Daniels. He might tackle the goal post to celebrate. I remember McCarthy putting him in the backfield to block once or twice. I’ve always wondered how badly he wanted the ball.

Patrick from Fort Collins, CO

I always enjoy a grammar discussion because grammar has such a broad definition. It can refer to poor syntax, morphology, style/editing, semantics, and/or phonology. Perception of good vs. poor grammar is often relative to a person’s culture, location, dialect, race, ethnicity, age, context, upbringing, situation, context, profession, style guidelines, etc. Our opinions of what is good or bad grammar may also reflect our own biases. That being said, nobody likes to read sloppy writing.

Indubitably.

Scott from Salem, OR

In “Murphy Takes Five,” in regard to Packers Everywhere pep rallies, Mark stated, “... rallies set this year on the days before games at Chicago, Los Angeles and Dallas (as well as at a home game).” Is there going to be a home game “pep rally” this season?

Yes. I believe it’s going to be the night before the Oakland game.

Nick from White Bear Township, MN

Hi Guys! Just read the II from a couple of days ago with the question about a single player's career sacks against one QB. Instantly, I remembered the terror of watching John Randle slice through our offensive line and slam our ol' gunslinger No. 4 to the ground. Favre and Randle had a great rivalry! Any specific moments you can recall when our guys bested Randle for a change?

The numbers say Randle had 14 sacks in 23 career games against the Packers, with 12½ sacks of Favre in 18 games against him. That’s rather remarkable, and one particular stretch is probably what’s sticking out in your mind. From the second game in ’93 through the first game in ’96, Randle sacked Favre 8½ times over six games, including 3½ times in September of 1996 when the Metrodome was the Packers’ house of horrors (and the Vikings handed the Packers their only loss through the first nine games of that season). Green Bay had more success against Randle later in his career, as he posted just two sacks in his final nine Packers-Vikings contests.

Dale from Prescott, WI

Mike, I know you talk of playing racquetball, which I loved playing in my younger days. How many days a week you play? Also, you ever play pickle ball? Back is feeling better and a buddy of mine wants to teach me. Any pointers?

I try to play twice a week whenever my schedule allows. I’ve never played pickle ball, but I’ve had people suggest it to me. I’m going to have to try it sometime.

Suzanne from Elgin, TX

Hi II: Can players in their rookie season be selected to the Pro Bowl? If yes, how frequently or infrequently does it happen? If yes, whom (or should it be who...Sister Noraleen never got that syntax thing burned in my brain) from the Packers has made that big of an impression as a rookie?

It’s who, and if you want another quick tip, you can remove the “of” and simply say, “Who from the Packers has made that big an impression as a rookie?” The answer is yes, it happens all the time. I believe six rookies were Pro Bowl selections last season. Since the league merger, Green Bay rookies to earn the honor are John Brockington in ’71, James Lofton in ’78, Clay Matthews in ’09 and Eddie Lacy in ’13.