Inbox: That’s the magic of sitting in those stands

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
engswo8teofg16kidqxb

Carroll from Madison, WI

I'm wondering how you see our depth chart compared with other Packer squads you've covered. Seems like we've not only got lots of talent, but serious depth across the board (except S/ILB and to a lesser extent CB, maybe).

There is good depth on this year’s roster. All it lacks right now is proven talent, but all you need is three or four regular-season games to change that perception.

Craig from Appleton, WI

Last year the Packers were last in the league at 20.8 rushing attempts per game. Assuming 60 offensive plays how many would you prefer to run the ball on average?

At least 21.

Arthur from Chippewa Falls, WI

How is the long-snapper position looking this year? Any competition or one player already set?

The Packers made a commitment last year to seventh-round pick Hunter Bradley and haven’t backed down from that. Bradley had his rookie moments last year but has the upside to be a guy who holds down that spot for the next decade. It doesn’t hurt he came into the league at the same time as punter JK Scott.

Tony from Lima, OH

The Wilson football factory is located in Ada, Ohio, 15 minutes from Lima. I have friends who work there. That's right I know a guy! Any changes to the ball (e.g. sensors), I will be informed ASAP, and will pass it on to you! You will have the breaking story!

I feel so alive.

Tom from West Palm Beach, FL

If the hypothetical new GPS-chip-enabled football hits the laser goal post, does it explode on impact?

A black hole forms and sucks the entire stadium into it.

Kevin from Whitehall, WI

Is it true that if the football had sensors during the Ice Bowl, the previous play would have been spotted at the 1½-yard line and Bart Starr's iconic play would never have happened?

I’ve been told by a very reliable source sensors freeze at negative-10 degrees. History would have been preserved.

Kyle from Osceola, WI

I'm hoping to attend the Houston preseason game. Around Lambeau Field beforehand, what's the biggest difference between a preseason game and a regular-season game?

Less day drinking?

Dave from Coloma, MI

Any old sports venues you wish you could have experienced before they were torn down?

Old Yankee Stadium.

Erik from Sisters, OR

My no-good brother-in-law from Seattle asked me at what age my now 11- and 8-year-old boys could throw and catch a ball. My answer was by their third birthday because that's all we played with. My question is at what age are you gonna expect your kid to throw and catch, Wes?

I threw a plush football to my son yesterday. He caught it with his body and then proceed to put it in his mouth. I call that progress.

David from Appleton, WI

As a member of the media, we understand you have to keep a professional distance. However, you are not an automaton. What is your favorite training-camp memory?

This is meant as no disrespect to B.J. Coleman. He’s a great guy who I loved covering, but he is responsible for my favorite training-camp memory. In 2012, he was running a two-minute drill and had the third-team offense inside the red zone. Blessed with a rocket arm, Coleman rolls out to his right and no one is open. So he throws the ball about four rows into the stands at Nitschke Field and hits a fan, who lets out an audible “Oof.” The real kicker, though, was Shawn Slocum, who was wearing the mic over the loud speaker. With the crowd silent, Slocum says in a somber tone, “That was fourth down...”

David from Florence, AZ

So Wes, everyone thinks you don’t have a life outside of Insider Inbox. That’s true, but it’s also what you are paid to do.

Thank you for clarifying that all for me.

Mike from Fort Wayne, IN

Wes, you used indubitably. Mike had no copyright for its use in II, I guess. I had to scroll up to see if Mike was on.

I’ve seen “Seven Days in Hell,” Mike. I reserve the right to use “indubitably” as I see fit.

Mark from Bettendorf, IA

I watched the replay of the Green Bay-Pittsburgh game from 2009. Both had top-five defenses coming in to a game that ended 37-36. What happened to that defense come the playoffs (51 points)?

Kurt Warner.

Curt from Locust Grove, GA

My brother-in-law is 16 and 6-5, 270 pounds. He is already being recruited by big-name universities to play left tackle. One recent scouting report I read about him said that he is projected to be an early-round NFL draft pick with proper coaching. Any advice that I could give him that you have heard from Packers players or lineman?

My advice is not to grow up too fast…and don’t read the scouting reports. Enjoy football and any other sports you play. Make good choices, but enjoy being a high-schooler. Sixteen is special. Adulthood and responsibilities will come soon enough. There’s no need to run to them. If you do well in school and keep doing all the right things off the field, your opportunity will come soon enough.

Tony from River Falls, WI

Any thoughts on what will happen when the Raiders move to Vegas?

Spoff wins the World Series of Poker.

Tom from Menomonee Falls, WI

My question is about sports writing. I continually notice poor grammar when I read sports articles online. Things like missing words, wrong words, words used incorrectly, etc. My suspicion is writers using voice-to-text apps, which can be imperfect in this regard, and proofreading must not be done very thoroughly. The II does not seem to have these errors so I am curious to know if you have noticed this in sports writing as well and what you attribute it to.

I don’t think voice-to-text is the culprit. I think it’s probably editors getting slashed at newspapers and the rise of unpaid bloggers who may not have strong grammar skills. Fortunately, we have Spoff here. I thought my grammar was decent when I came to packers.com, but Spoff is one of the sharpest guys when it comes to that stuff. You can tell his dad was an English professor.