Inbox: The best part about it is options exist

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
cuy4stfs1pzpsh2mftc6

Craig from Brookfield, WI

As unsexy as it may seem (compared to skill positions), I hope a good OL or two drops to the Packers in the draft. At the moment, we're down two first-team All Pros from the 2020 unit. I'm not banking on Bak being back to start the season. Even if a drafted OL isn't ready to start Week 1, I'd vote for shoring up the protection of the Pack's MVP. Can you please convey my concerns to Gutey, so he can act on my wishes?

I'll text him right now. I'm sure your thoughts have never crossed his mind.

Steve from Marinette, WI

Some mock drafts are projecting the Packers to pick Teven Jenkins to be their first-round pick at OT. If so, would that give the Packers the chance to have the "Jenkins Brothers" on the offensive line to pair with the "Smith Brothers" on D?

Serenity now.

Jake from Oswego, IL

I have a question that, if answered, will hopefully be able to provide some perspective. How many Hall of Fame quarterbacks finished their careers on a different team than the one for which they are best known? Just off the top of my head I can think of Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning. We all want Rodgers to stay forever, but I think his comments about his future are maybe more a product of history than anything else. It's hard to keep these guys forever and Rodgers knows that.

For the record, we'll put the lists out there. Here are the Hall of Fame QBs who played at least a portion of their careers in the salary-cap era who spent their entire careers with one team: Aikman, Elway, Kelly and Marino. If we don't count early, pre-HOF-caliber years with another team, add Young and (eventually) Brees. Here are the HOF QBs who changed teams: Favre, Manning, Montana, Moon, Warner and (eventually) Brady. It's about 50-50 at this point.

Perry from Ishpeming, MI

Just read Cliff's history on Rote and Howton! Great read. Do you know if the HOF has ever considered former players' input on HOF induction? I didn't find anything on the HOF website. It would appear that writers have more input into HOF nominees than the players that played against each other or watched their peers. Just curious on your thoughts.

The media members on the selection committee frequently get input from the players and coaches from the nominee's era in putting together their presentations to the full committee at the finalist stage. That input is definitely considered.

Scott from Racine, WI

Good morning, it was mentioned that the draft pool is considerately smaller this year. Could it be because the NCAA gave an extra year to its players? Will that make the draft pool a lot larger next year?

Almost certainly.

Mike from Cottage Grove, MN

Eric of Mequon asked about the defensive playbook. Do the players get an actual hard copy physical book or is it digital? Speaking as an apprentice book binder at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, I sure hope it's a physical book. Research has shown that an actual physical book has a higher retention rate of information than digital.

Playbooks are all digital now, on tablets that can be wiped remotely for security purposes should a player lose one.

Michael from Morrison, IL

I may be off on this, but I believe one of the reasons why it took the Monday Night Football crew nearly a decade to come to Green Bay was because Lambeau Field did not have adequate lighting for a night TV broadcast (which Milwaukee County Stadium had). However, improvements in the late '70s addressed the lighting issue.

I'm sure Cliff could confirm this, but it sounds vaguely familiar to me.