Inbox: The Packers’ reputation is well known

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
nbre9fmjlfsehetkfaqw

Carson from Salt Lake City, UT

In regards to Cindy from Los Angeles wondering about what away venue to watch a game at, I was lucky enough to attend the Packers vs. Cowboys game at AT&T Stadium in 2013 when the Pack had that crazy comeback. My experience at the stadium was pleasant during and even after the game. Do you think the hostility your friend was shown was due to the high stakes of the game? I'd hate for Cindy to be scared away from seeing a Packers game in an awesome away venue based on one bad experience.

I’m sure the playoffs factored considerably in the fan behavior. All through pregame, and even during the game, with Dallas the NFC’s No. 1 seed, that monster video board kept showing Michael Irvin screaming the Cowboys’ playoff slogan – “Finish this fight! Finish this fight!” – over and over and over again. To say such “inspirational” material discourages civility might be a bit of an understatement. I’m glad your experience at Jerry’s World was a positive one.

Cheryl from Glens Falls, NY

Hi Mike, you answered a question where you referred to the Giants stadium as “a tin can with no redeemable value.” Whereas I cannot speak to experiencing a game with Giants fans per se, I wanted to share that my very first NFL game was Packers at Jets this past December. I got to share an amazing NYC experience with my fiancé and we were surprised on how awesome the Jets fans were. Friendly and respectful! We had a great time despite it being meaningless. ANY place to see Aaron play is worth it!

I don’t discount that one bit. My comment was solely about the stadium as a sporting venue, and compared to other modern stadiums around the country, it provides really nothing to attract a visitor. The place has no character of its own, which is somewhat to be expected when multiple teams call it home.

Ren from Chicago, IL

Who is most improved at training camp?

Right now, the grass.

Jeffery from Milwaukee, WI

Mike, just a comment on your response on how the internet is changing the way you do journalism. With everything being so instant these days, too often a story will break and everyone wants to be the first to break the news. Sometime in the last few years, Dan Patrick made this statement on his show: "I would rather be last to report a story but have all my facts correct rather than be first to report something with incorrect information." We need more journalists with that mindset!

Couldn’t agree more. That was baked into my accountability comment as well, because when consumers’ priority is entertainment, where they can get the news first matters more than where they can get it accurately and responsibly reported and analyzed.

Rob from Buckinghamshire, UK

After the Raiders and Rams/Chargers move into their new stadia, which teams do you think will or should look to move? Do you see any further franchises moving cities? (not necessarily to London even though I think it's only a matter of time)

I have no idea who will or should, but it always starts with the stadium factor, and Buffalo’s stadium has been an issue for quite some time. I’ll also note that when we were at FedExField in Washington last September, the ceiling in the press box was leaking water, and it did not appear to be a new problem. That place looks like no one cares about it.

George from Hutchinson, MN

Is there a predetermined seating arrangement in the press box units during a game? Does it change from one stadium to another? Any interesting stories from past experiences?

There’s a seating chart, home and away. We’re always in the same seats at Lambeau, have been for years. At road games, all the visiting personnel are roughly in the same area of the press box. That leak in DC last year? Just a few seats down from me and Wes, where our Packers PR colleagues were supposed to sit. Real classy.

Matt from Fairfield, CA

I think a lot of fans have a problem with the Thursday night game because it means that their team (and typically both teams) will be competing on very short rest, and this will invariably reduce the quality of play and create risks for injuries. I have a relatively simple solution. When they schedule Thursday night games, the league should give both participating teams a bye in the week prior to the game. This would result in extended rest both before AND after the game.

This has been suggested frequently in this forum, but it’s not that simple. The NFL currently has all byes scheduled from Weeks 4-12, but Thursday games run through Week 15. I’m not sure giving a team its bye in Week 2, 3, 13 or 14 really works, either. Plus, the CBA stipulates the players’ bye week must include at least four consecutive days off, including a Saturday, which can’t effectively be accomplished with your proposed setup (and why no teams playing on Thursday have their bye week immediately prior). Maybe this will come up in the next CBA negotiations, but I suspect both sides will have bigger fish to fry.