Inbox: The position still has a purpose

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ioqfnckjiykligx4dpcc

Steve from Davenport, IA

Can Equanimeous St. Brown make a difference in this offense or will he not make the team in 2020?

He'll be in the conversation for a roster spot again. St. Brown has all the tools and only got better throughout his rookie season. He doesn't turn 24 until September.

Markus from Aurora, CO

Insiders, thank you for last week's upcoming key dates for the Packers. This is a handy list for those of us fans who tend to drift off a bit between postseason and the next training camp.

That was an "Insider Inbox FAQ" special.

Richard from Clearwater, MN

Under Mike McCarthy, the weekly coaches' press conferences included a variety of assistants, not just the coordinators of the main three units. Under LaFleur only the main coordinators were included. Is it safe to assume this is a head coach decision on who is available to the media during the week?

Assistants were still available but just the coordinators were at the podium. I'm sorry you couldn't watch those, but I honestly like this format much better than 1½ hours of continuous interviews at the podium every week.

Bret from Hertel, WI

Dear Wes, how would you assess the defensive back positions of cornerback, safety and nickel?

Strong. The core four – Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Adrian Amos and Darnell Savage – are all in place. Chandon Sullivan and Josh Jackson provide great depth and will contend for roles, too. The only questions now are whether Tramon Williams returns at nickel, and who mans the hybrid safety spot?

Jeff from Eveleth, MN

You mentioned the success of the 2016 and 2017 Packers drafts. My question is how many "hits" do you think it takes for a draft to be considered a success? Also, what somewhat recent Packers draft would you consider the best?

Ron Wolf always liked the analogy of getting as many swings at the plate as possible with draft picks. I look at hitting on picks like batting averages, with home runs, triples and doubles factored in. If 30-40 percent of your picks play out their rookie contracts, I believe you had a solid draft.

Mike from Niles, IL

Totally agree with your response to Donna from Farley, that cornerbacks have the next most difficult jobs (than QBs). My favorite position.

There really is no position quite like cornerback. You have to be intelligent, fast, tough and supremely conditioned. I have the utmost respect for corners, especially those who live under the microscope on an island 16 times a regular season.

Mike from South Dakota, SD

What's the highest Brian Gutekunst has ever drafted a MLB?

Oren Burks. Third round (88th overall). Thanks for your question.

Fred from La Crosse, WI

I'm looking for tips to be better prepared for offseason, free agency, combine, draft, training camp, preseason, season and ultimately postseason. Any for loyal II readers?

The biggest name isn't always the best player.

Joseph from Salt Lake City, UT

After a few weekends of the XFL, do you think the changed kickoff rule will inspire the NFL to tinker some more with theirs?

It should at least consider it. I was hanging out with some friends on Saturday night who don't work in sports and XFL kickoffs were all they were talking about. The NFL did the right thing with kickoffs a few years back. The play needed to be retooled, but I still believe there's a happy medium between safe and exciting – and the XFL might be onto something.

Nicholas from Portland, OR

If the XFL continues successfully, do you see a point where practice squad and usually inactive NFL players begin to play in this league? I can't imagine they get too worn down by standing on the sidelines throughout the NFL season and I'm sure they'd benefit from the experience. Thoughts?

NFL Europe was the right format at the right time but I think we've moved beyond that, especially with the emphasis the league has placed on player safety. Practice-squad players who last the entire season – and the Packers had six of them this year – have a busy enough schedule from April through December. The best way for them to improve isn't by playing 10 more games. It's practicing daily against Aaron Rodgers, Davante Adams, Za'Darius Smith and Co.