Inbox: The setting was as good as it gets

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
kgzvlir3kbhutder34c3

Corey from Las Vegas, NV

Tough win, and on to the bye. But why does it seem like this defense can't cover anybody, especially tight ends? Olsen was open on crossers all day.

The Packers had defenders biting on the play-action to McCaffrey quite a bit. Understandable, but better vision and discipline are required.

Will from Glendale, AZ

As an out-of-state fan, nothing beats watching the Packers on TV under the lights of Lambeau with snow falling. With that said, what's one adjustment from the defense you want to see coming out of the bye?

The setting was as good as it gets Sunday night. The defense needs to keep cutting down on the explosives. After the 38-yarder early, the Panthers only had two more plays of 20-plus. A bunch in the 15-to-18 range, but it’s still incremental progress. It has to continue.

Tom from Ft. Myers, FL

With your firm “knockout pool” rules, were you able to go deep into the season more often than not? Asking for a friend.

Yes, as a matter of fact I was, until gambling became illegal at Bushwood.

Lori from Brookfield, WI

Mike, Vic recently posted that the goals of his blog are to "inform, entertain and anger." Do you concur or do your writing goals head in other directions?

My objectives are limited to the first two. I have no stake in anyone’s emotional response to my work.

Brandon from Tucson, AZ

Couldn’t help but smile when Tramon Williams got the pick. Although his play has been nothing short of solid and consistent, he hasn’t gotten an interception since he came back and it was great to see him get one again.

Last year was the first in Tramon’s long career he didn’t get at least one interception. I’m sure it felt good for him, too, even if it came at the expense of a missed pick(-six?) by a teammate.

Jay from Fairport, NY

We hear a lot about letting players develop and grow into consistent NFL players. Where does most of that development take place? Practice, training camp, film sessions, or real game experience? I think as fans we tend to think of practice being the main spot for players to improve their craft, but with the practice restrictions in the CBA I wonder how much they allow players to improve.

It all counts, and every player is different. But from my experience, I’ve seen players improve the most during training camp, because the practice repetitions and film study are the most extensive and intensive during that time. Once the season starts, I think players have to be playing in games to really improve.

Luke from Verona, WI

Does JK Scott have any experience in snowy, cold weather? He appears to be lacking distance on his kicks lately.

Scott struggled later in the season last year as well, so he has to figure it out. But his two fourth-quarter pooch punts were exactly what the Packers were looking for, pinning the Panthers on the 8- and 11-yard lines.

Lucas from Morgantown, WV

That's the type of win that leaves you breathless for a few hours. Those guys should be proud of what they just did. What's with Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Geronimo Allison though? Am I missing something? This team needs more from their experienced receivers. I still think they'll come through, but it's November. A great coach once said, "It is time."

It may be Allen Lazard’s time. He looked like the No. 2 receiver on Sunday the way he was being used.

Kirsten from Madison, WI

Ten games into the season, we know who the Packers' defense is at least: Big plays. They're going to give 'em up. They're going to make a few. We win when they make more than they give up.

It’s not the plays you make, it’s when you make ’em. Defense in this league is hard. You just keep fighting until something goes your way.

JT from Whitewater, WI

Just an amendment to the Dope Sheet. Carolina’s linebackers coach, Steve Russ, is from Stetsonville, Wis., (pop. 541) and graduated from Medford Area Senior High. He also has two SB rings from his time as a linebacker/special teams player for the Broncos, the first of which came as the result of SB XXXII.

When I covered Super Bowl XXXII for the Wausau Daily Herald, I wrote a big biographical story that week on Russ (Medford is less than an hour from Wausau). I hadn’t thought about that piece for a long time, but it doesn’t surprise me he’s coaching. He struck me as an all football, all the time guy.

Nick from White Bear Township, MN

Hi all! Great and very important win for the Pack. Did you guys watch the Vikings game? I still get sweaty palms thinking about Week 16.

Long way to go before we get there. Big road win for the Vikings. They did what they had to, splitting the toughest back-to-back on their schedule (at KC, at Dallas). Their red-zone defense in the fourth quarter won the game.

Sandy from Green Bay, WI

What a great time at Lambeau Field! Between the D-Train entertainment, snow-globe conditions, halftime parachuters, flickering lights and fireworks after touchdowns, and jumbotron entreaties by players to get loud, what element of the game experience tickled your fancy the most?

When Wes found me an oatmeal raisin cookie at halftime.

Lee from Leesburg, FL

Which remaining matchup are you looking forward to the most?

How can you not be fired up for the first one after the bye, at San Francisco? I’ll take my break next weekend, but I know I’ll be geared up.