Inbox: The story isn’t finished until the last page is written

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
y1po5ogbaseyymz0u3qi

Monty from Hazen, ND

When do you expect the location of the Raider preseason game to be announced? I’m thinking it might be a fun little trip to Winnipeg!

I’m hopeful we’ll get that final answer in the next few weeks. I just caution not to get your hopes too high quite yet. It is possible that game still winds up in Green Bay. Stay tuned.

Damon from Washington, D.C.

Why is Javon Walker never mentioned as one of the greats? I thought he was the most talented receiver since Sterling Sharpe. No slight to Jordy.

Walker may be one of the more talented receivers the Packers have had in the last 30 years, but he’s not a great. No slight to Walker, but I’d put Nelson, Davante Adams, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings and Randall Cobb well ahead of him in overall career production.

Blake from Orlando, FL

What role does the offensive coordinator have if the head coach is calling the plays?

In the simplest terms, I’d say think of Nathaniel Hackett like a sous chef. It’s Matt LaFleur’s kitchen, but Hackett is there to help prepare the meal.

John from Crivitz, WI

Does the agent or agency that represents a player affect how he is viewed by teams and potentially affect his draft status?

No. NFL teams find players regardless of who represents them. One of my best friends in the business, who runs a small agency, just had a player drafted in the second round this year. Meanwhile, the conglomerate agencies also represent players who go undrafted every year.

Craig from Cedar Rapids, IA

During the Ted years we were always among the youngest teams in the NFL. Has that changed any?

The Packers are still one of the youngest in the league. I believe they were the third or fourth youngest in 2018.

James from Asheville, NC

All the chatter – warranted or not – about bringing in Michael Crabtree has me asking: Does Gute consider how the bringing in of a free agent impacts the development and playing time of younger players? One more body means less reps and potentially stalling the growth of the player on board, does it not?

Yes. But every GM does that. If a team is going to sign a free agent and guarantee him money, it better be certain that player is going to be on the 53 – and have a role once he gets there.

Steve from Cottage Grove, WI

What are the rules for claimed players and roster at this time of year? In season, they have to be added to the 53 and not just practice squad, correct? Are claimed players claimed in May guaranteed a spot on the 53?

The waiver wire uses the same protocol as the draft – the team with the worst record from last season (Arizona) receives the first waiver claim. A claim doesn’t ensure a place on the eventual 53, though. Waiver claims simply receive a spot on the offseason 90.

Cindy from Los Angeles, CA

When is the offseason for scouts?

Right now. Contracts for scouts typically run through the draft, so you’ll start to notice a little movement here and there over the next few weeks.

Keith from Lincoln, IL

I have a question about one of the Packer traditions that makes me the proudest – the players riding the kids’ bikes back to the stadium after practice. Does that go on throughout the entire preseason, or is it limited to certain times before the season starts? Thank you!

It occurs during every public practice of training camp (weather permitting) besides Family Night.

Tyler from Green Bay, WI

Could a Washington Nationals travel situation happen in the NFL in 2019? Has it ever happened before? Would the league intervene?

I don’t follow baseball…and tired quickly after trying to Google what you were asking about. So I’m just going to go with “OK.”

Ryan from Noblesville, IN

Did Wes just call Spoff “Michael” instead of “Mike”? So which is it, Mike or Michael? Should we start our questions with Mike or Michael?

I rarely, if ever, call him Mike. It’s either Michael or Spoff. That’s partly due to us employing approximately 234 “Mikes” on our floor.