Inbox: The talent is there and so, too, is the potential for greatness

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
h2abd2gaughedsw2lqqf

Mike from White House, TN

The Bears just hired Mike Pettine as their senior defensive advisor. In cases like this who has the upper hand, Pettine knowing what the weaknesses of the Packers' offense or LaFleur knowing Pettine's defensive tendencies?

Neither. I think these things are overblown. Pettine might know a thing or two about the interworking of LaFleur's scheme but the Packers have played more than 2,000 offensive snaps with LaFleur as the play-caller. The film is out there and NFL teams constantly are taking notes. Conversely, who's to say how much the Bears adopt Pettine's philosophies. It's Sean Desai's defense, after all.

Alex from Charlotte, NC

So everyone's been asking about our big-name free agents, but I haven't seen anyone ask about our Golden Boy Nathaniel Hackett. Is he still under contract for next year? Has he received any interest outside of Green Bay for other OC/HC positions? Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I don't know the status of the coaching contracts (Pettine's deal expiring was news when it broke). However, it sure sounded like Hackett would be back in 2021 during LaFleur's season-ending news conference. With all the head-coaching jobs spoken for, I have no reason to think Hackett wouldn't be back in Green Bay this year.

Jeff from Wentzville, MO

Wes: "...didn't the NFL say a couple years ago that it wanted its referees to do a better job of identifying the perpetrator and not flagging the second guy?" There was a play in the first half where the Tampa Bay center went after a KC D-Lineman, initiating first contact. The refs called the retaliation. Can they/do they/should they review this like they do plays?

It's not the first time that's happened, either. I'll repeat what I tweeted last month – Ryan Jensen is something else. When you get under the skin of someone as even keeled as Kenny Clark, that's saying something. Not sure I'd want that to be my legacy in the game but Jensen is the one with the ring, I guess. It's an impossible thing to review. Refs just need to be aware and get the call right.

Ryan from Elmhurst, IL

Is the expected timing of this year's salary cap announcement within normal parameters?

I haven't heard a set day yet but it reportedly will be announced earlier than past years.

Shaun from Cottage Grove, WI

If I have heard correctly, there are 12 main free agents on the roster. Looking into the crystal ball, how many get re-signed? Who do you think is the "most important"?

Aaron Jones and Corey Linsley are the two dominoes that have to fall first. Once their futures are sorted out, the Packers can determine how they'll proceed.

Stefan from Berlin, Germany

More a thought than a question on LeRoy Butler: If one assumes Canton is there to keep the greatest memories alive the following conclusion is inevitable: the person we owe one of the utmost iconic moves of the league to must be in. Athletic abilities, accolades and achievements aside, the Lambeau Leap and its "inventor" deserve a bust in bronze or even (green and) gold.

They'll talk fervently about the Lambeau Leap whenever Butler gets in, but it's clear to me at this point that it doesn't mean a hill of beans to the Hall of Fame voters, which is disappointing.

Jeff from Modoc, IN

Wes, do you think the reason John Lynch got in ahead of Butler has more to do with what he has done in football since his retirement from his playing days, and not strictly his accomplishments on the field?

Lynch's brand is bigger. He's stayed in the public eye longer since his career ended, through commentating and now as San Francisco's general manager. Based strictly on merit, it's not debatable which safety was the better player.

Thomas from Altoona, WI

My favorite LeRoy Butler play was the sack in the Super Bowl. He ran Dave Meggett over on the way to Drew Bledsoe. He had to sack Bledsoe one-handed, because Meggett was holding on for dear life. That play alone should be enough to get him in.

If it wasn't for that first Lambeau Leap, Butler's sack of Bledsoe could easily be the definitive moment of his 12-year NFL career. It also probably was a better representation of what he brought to Fritz Shurmur's defense, too, than the fumble recovery for a touchdown.

Terrance from Sun Prairie, WI

Who else from previous Packers teams should be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

Rick Gosselin, who has been a voice for many overlooked senior candidates, had an interesting column this week where he talked about the uphill battle Clay Matthews Jr. faces after his modern-era eligibility expired last week because of all the other senior nominees who are deserving. In that column, Gosselin makes a case for Ron Kramer, Boyd Dowler, and Lavvie Dilweg. Cecil Isbell also was a finalist for the Centennial Slate, while Sterling Sharpe and Gale Gillingham have arguments, as well. That's why I'm focused on Butler getting in as a modern-era player – because the line is longer than you think for seniors.