Inbox: There aren't many like him

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ocrcip0ks81y9sfnyp5k

Brad from Brookfield, WI

Do you think three QBs will be on the roster for 2021? If so, do the Packers re-sign Tim Boyle and will he still be the No. 2 QB going into camp?

If the modified practice-squad format sticks around, I don't know why a team wouldn't keep three quarterbacks on its active roster moving forward. If Boyle is back in the fold for Year 4, the competition between TBLS and Jordan Love will be great theater in camp.

Stephie from Flowery Branch, GA

Hi Wes, thanks for keeping us going throughout football drought. Reed from York PA reminded me how much I'd like to understand how compensatory picks come to be. Nor did I get how compensatory picks relate to unrestricted free agency from your conversation. Please clarify and enlighten us. Stay warm. Thank you.

The NFL management council developed the compensatory formula after unrestricted free agency was introduced in 1993. It's a complicated process centered on the net-loss formula from free agency the prior year. In simplest terms, the average per year value of a contract tends to determine how high the draft pick will be for a departing player. Thirty-two picks are awarded to teams, though it's not a given every team will receive one. Regardless of how many players a team loses, it can be awarded no more than four compensatory picks.

Aaron from Scottsdale, AZ

Was Cedric Benson a restricted FA in 2012?

Benson initially was an unrestricted free agent because his contract with Cincinnati expired after the 2011 season but that window only lasts so long unless a team sends a tender to an unsigned unrestricted free agent by a specific date. Last year, I believe it was May 5. After that, if a tender is not issued, the free agent no longer counts towards the compensatory formula. Since Benson first signed with Green Bay during training camp, the deadline had long since passed for the Bengals to be eligible for compensation.

Jordan from Virginia Beach, VA

When it comes to compensatory picks, are they rewarded solely based on the outgoing free agents or are free-agent signings taken into account? Example: Aaron Jones signs elsewhere, Green Bay signs J.J. Watt (only using him because he is the biggest name on the market; not lobbying to sign him). Jones leads the NFL in rushing yards and TDs, Watt leads the league in sacks, TFL and adds a few forced turnovers. Do we get a high pick because of Jones or does Watt's season cancel out the lost value?

Again, it is a net-loss formula. If Player A receives $5 million per year elsewhere but the Packers sign Player B for $5 million per year, then Green Bay likely gets nothing). But I wanted to answer this question because "unrestricted free agents" are players whose contracts expired. Watt's contract didn't expire. He was cut by Houston and doesn't count towards the compensatory process whenever he signs. Over the years, the Packers have signed several "street" free agents (Julius Peppers, Letroy Guion, Jared Cook, Christian Kirksey and Rick Wagner) who were released and didn't count against the formula.

Dennis from De Pere, WI

Do Jack Vainisi and especially Bob Harlan also belong up on the wall in Lambeau for their contributions to the team? Who else am I missing?

That's above my paygrade but they are two of the most influential people in this franchise's illustrious history. I am happy to see Vainisi starting to get the credit he so richly deserves. As someone who is now 33, it is crazy thinking about what Vainisi accomplished in an extraordinary life cut way too short.

Matt from Cedar Rapids, IA

In the conversation of QB making WR great, I really liked the response with Davante Adams' games with Brett Hundley at QB. It seems that in these situations, backup QBs often throw check downs to RBs and TEs instead of pushing the ball down field. Adams found ways to get himself open and provide an easy down field target, which doesn't seem to happen often in these situations (which again speaks to his greatness). Do you see it the same with backup QBs around the league?

It's that sink-or-swim moment for backups, but I think those moments show a receiver's greatness. That's what impressed me the most about what Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin accomplished in Arizona prior to Kurt Warner's resurgence in the late-2000s. When a guy produces without a premier quarterback, that speaks volume about the receiver.

Andrew from Wheaton, IL

What's the Packers' aversion to the franchise tag? The last time we used it was 2010 on Ryan Pickett. It seems like there are a couple of good options for the Packers to tag this year; what's the likelihood that it actually gets used?

The Packers traditionally have had room to work out extensions without needing to tag anyone. Plus, it isn't exactly great for morale since it separates a player from the free market. And before some of you hit me with the "You're making millions, shut up and play for the tag" garbage, please remember most players, especially running backs, only get one shot at a life-changing deal.