Inbox: They'll find their way

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
wguhebmjuq9shsp5pcc2

Juan from Miami, FL

What were your thoughts of the All-Decade Team? No Mike McCarthy? No Mason Crosby? What a joke...

I think an argument could be made for McCarthy over Pete Carroll but I didn't have any real big issues with the team. Rodgers, a two-time MVP, over Drew Brees was the right choice. I probably would've gone with Bakhtiari over Jason Peters or Tyron Smith. Those two have slowed down a touch since around 2015-16, whereas Bakhtiari has only gotten better.

James from Santa Maria, CA

My question is simple. I'm wondering with the draft upcoming and it being done remotely and the logistics of trying to work a trade over the Internet, Skype or cell phones, do you see them possibly allowing extra time on the clock so that technology doesn't interfere with the trade process?

No. Teams have negotiated trades over the phone since the draft came into existence. That part is nothing new.

Aditya from Princeton, NJ

Many Packers fans, and experts alike, are emphasizing WR, OT and ILB as impending needs for the team. While I agree, would it be unfair to say that IDL might be a bigger priority? While Tyler Lancaster, Dean Lowry, and Keke have shown promise, maybe it is time we consider using a high draft pick, like Blacklock, Gallimore or Madubuike, on a IDL which can free up Kenny Clark (second-most double-teamed DL) to operate like the beast he is. It could go a long way in helping our rush D. What do you guys think?

I've been a fan of Ross Blacklock since Spoff mentioned how his dad is the Harlem Globetrotters coach at the NFL Scouting Combine. The more important thing – Blacklock can play, too. Ted Thompson's old adage was God only made so many big people and even fewer are natural athletes. So defensive line could make sense for Green Bay.

Barb from Marengo, IL

Holy draft Batman! Is every team going to ask to borrow our Batphone? Seriously, I can't imagine how this year's draft is going to play out. Any thoughts?

Buckle up because it is going to be a wild three days. As much pushback as the league reportedly has received about keeping the draft on schedule, I think the NFL probably made the right move. We don't know when this COVID-19 storm is going to pass. So draft the players with the information you have, give them their contracts and get them playbooks. Every team is operating at a disadvantage and we gotta make the best out of an inconvenient reality.

Eric from Neenah, WI

For those questioning receiver separation, watch Greg Jennings' highlights when he was with the Packers. Regardless of his comments off the field regarding Green Bay and AR12, his production and route-running while in Green Bay was very good. He often created 3-5 yards of separation and was effective over the middle with YAC. I believe this is the type of receiver that is missing in the Green Bay offense. Agree or disagree?

Jennings never really bounced back after that core muscle injury in 2012 but his run from 2007-11 is one of the most dominant stretches by a Packers receiver in team history. It's hard for me to say a Jennings-type receiver is what's missing from the current offense. I feel like Davante Adams is that guy but certainly a complementary receiver of Jennings' ability would take this offense to another level.

Paul from London, Ontario

Hello II. Thanks to all at packers.com for the work you do so that transplants like myself can enjoy all Packer news. My question goes back to the game last season when GB was down to the last healthy, active O-lineman. Can Hunter Bradley fill in? Any added depth would be a plus.

I can say with a high degree of certainty Tyler Lancaster would have been the next man up. He was an interior offensive lineman throughout high school and almost played there at Northwestern. Bradley was a tight end before he was a long snapper.

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

Brian from Sussex brings up a really hot topic regarding schedule expansion. As the regular season and playoff schedule expands it dilutes the impact of early-season games. I realize that 17 is still not 82 or 162, but I can't ignore thinking that on those beautiful sunny days of the early season when your kids want to be outside, unless you are a 20-something male with no kids it is harder and harder to rationalize staying inside. Scarcity of product was a key driver for appointment viewing.

I'm not worried that the extra game will dilute things. My hesitation has always been how this alters what I felt was an optimal schedule – 32 teams, 16 games and eight divisions. There's so much natural synergy and fairness with that format. Having 17 games meddles with that, but I still think every game from September through December will be critical.

Aaron from Scottsdale, AZ

Interesting thoughts regarding Jordy potentially winning Super Bowl MVP. For argument sake, give Jordy an additional 80 yards and another TD, giving him 220 (first all-time in the Super Bowl) along with two TDs. That would also have given Rodgers 384 yards with four TDs, the latter tying him at No. 3 all-time in the Super Bowl. I don't see how you don't honor both at that point. Co-MVPs for Nelson and Rodgers. #COVIDSportsDebates

And you get a Super Bowl MVP…and you get a Super Bowl MVP…and you get a Super Bowl MVP. The Packers hoisted the Lombardi Trophy for the fourth time that night. I think that's the only thing Rodgers and Nelson would've cared about.

Bret from Hertel, WI

Dear Wes, the 2010 Packers had a great team that peaked at the right time! It was fun to see that game again. With only two sure-fire HOF players on the Packers, there were at least 16 Packers Hall of Fame players with about eight on offense and eight on defense. They looked very strong, young and hungry.

That squad had it all – an emerging offense, suffocating defense and leaders across the board. Once the pieces fell into place, that team had championship written all over it.