Inbox: They built it together, brick-by-brick

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
cl2db9dssg9dsdkffyoe

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

The question from James of Appleton, WI, got me thinking on the improbability that any running back with significant carries would suit up for all 17 games. Will we start to see running backs held out for rest purposes?

Teams could scale back snaps of individual running backs to keep them fresh for the entire year, but I don't see anyone being shelved in meaningful games for "load management" purposes. Coaches just need to be aware of how much their guys are playing and adjust the distribution of snaps accordingly.

Tom from Burlington, WI

"Approved a one-year experiment in an attempt to make it easier to recover onside kicks. In 2021, the receiving team on kickoffs will be limited to nine players within 25 yards of the ball. Last season, NFL teams recovered only three of 67 onside kicks, the lowest total and recovery rate since at least 2001." I don't see how this really does anything to change the success rate, but kudos for trying, I guess?

I'm ambivalent about it. I'm just happy the fourth-and-15 idea got tabled for reasons disclosed in past Inboxes.

Cindy from Mesa, AZ

Good morning! On "Packers Unscripted," one of you thought Billy Turner found his spot at RT, after struggling (comparatively) at RG. The trend for OL seems to be that tackles in college are often shifted to guard in the NFL presumably because it's less athletically demanding. What makes Turner a better tackle than guard?

He can use his footwork and athleticism more at tackle, which I feel are two of Turner's best attributes. That gets neutralized a little inside where it's all power and pad level. Turner still played well inside in a pinch this past season but I really liked what I saw from him at right tackle.

Shannon from Ovilla, TX

If you are Gutey at 29 and the following players are ranked the same and are available, who would you choose and why? Zaven Collins from Tulsa, Christian Barmore from 'Bama, Teven Jenkins from OK State, Rashod Bateman from Minnesota and Elijah Moore from Ole Miss. Give me the pass rusher or QB protector.

I like Jenkins. A lot. If he's available in the mock draft I do every year with this radio station in Florida, Jenkins likely will be my pick. The guy is 6-foot-6, 317 pounds, credentialed and has 33½-inch arms. I don't know where he'd play for the Packers, but I just think Jenkins has 10-year NFL starter written all over him.

Robert from Scottsdale, AZ

Most drafts seem to have one historic bust as a player even though he scores off the charts in the physical components. The Packers have had their share, including Tony Mandarich. Where do you think the blame falls? On the team or the player?

Society. While some players are their own worst enemy – and Mandarich admittedly didn't do himself any favors –many times we like to build prospects up just to tear them down. Like Jamal Reynolds, for example. What did he ever do to anybody other than put on the "G" on draft day?

Nate from Minneapolis, MN

How many season records do you expect to be broken with the addition of a 17th game next year?

Six. Wait, no, five. Maybe six…but likely five.

Dan from Ashwaubenon, WI

What is the chance of having two St. Browns in the green and gold after the draft?

One in 259.

Ed from Des Plaines, IL

Good morning Mr. Hodkiewicz, Mr. Spofford answered Steven's question from San Diego, CA, "What are the Packers missing in order to make it to the Super Bowl?" with "One more win, and playing their best game on the day that win is needed." Thank you, Mr. Spofford! I hope this ends the "one player away" conversations. The Packers have been to the conference championship games and not gotten the job done. Maybe 2021 will be the year they play their best games when needed.

If I've said it once, I've said it twice – football is an imperfect science and what allows a team to succeed one year isn't always going to work as well the next. So, you put together the best roster and coaching staff you can and hope beyond hope that it's enough to win.